Pre-midlife crisis when it comes to coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 19, 2016.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, that's true. But there's more to it than that. When you say creating collectibles, I assume you're talking about low mintage items that will hopefully significantly increase in value, items that will have a degree of scarceness.

Well, what you don't realize is that the mint abhors the very idea of creating a rarity. They go out of their way to make sure that does not happen, and they always have.

The only "rarities" produced by the US Mint happen completely by accident, by circumstances beyond their control. It is in fact you, the customer, who creates so called rarities. And it happens when the mint produces a given coin that customers just don't seem to like, at the time they are produced, and thus buy only a few of them. This alone is what causes any given coin to end up having a low mintage.

It's not the mint, it's you the customer, who does this. And you do it without even knowing it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No, I totally realize that. That's what lead collectors to start seeking out "condition rarities" in modern circulating issues.

It doesn't need to be a rarity to be a collectible. If they would produce commemoratives with a mintage of under 25000, with a low household limit (like 1, or maybe 2), and start cracking down on people who try to circumvent those limits, then we might end up with something of collectible value in a few years. Of course, the "cracking down" business is probably too difficult, and we'd have people whining about not being able to get them, and the floodgates would open and we'd be left where we are now.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

At 21 I had just moved to my own place and was making jack #&^% for a salary. You may be surprised how much you can get done in the next 10 to 20. ;)

Jwt708 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

haha i now have hope for the future!

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

IMHO, the best way to deal with the modern day excesses of the US Mint (and other major mints for that matter) is to ignore them and not collect the trinkets they produce.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well, after getting three of the reverse silver eagle proofs and having the other two on the way here, I cannot imagine how one for the 30th anniversary escaped the Mint's attention. Frankly, it baffles me.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Read your history, that's exactly what collectors did in the 1950's - and it worked, they stopped after producing them for 5 decades.

Perhaps the mint is also learning from history, albeit slowly - after producing them for 3 decades this time.

9. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Grading world coins is quite difficult for me as well. I've got tons of them to go through. It's amazing how many different varieties of EVERYTHING that exist. I'm saving those to grade for 'someday'. You can find silver in various percentages though, depending of course how much there is to go through. Nobody around me seems to be interested in 'foreign' stuff however. Go figure.

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm in the same boat as you. 24, and in college. Not a lot of spare time or income. And I've had a similar feeling lately, I still am collecting stuff but not really caring too much about it. So I've decided to make a change and try to get nicer, higher grade coins that I've always wanted. I'm starting to sell off my surplus coins or ones I don't really care about and using the funds to buy coins I want. Like this one, I sold one of my quarter eagles to fund it (tough decision, but this coin is beautiful).
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

Eaglefawn, spirityoda and Paul M. like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

Good trick. I'm starting to realize that I don't actually need an album full of entirely vinegar-dated, identical looking Buffalo nickels... I would enjoy one or two high grade ones more than 100 crappy ones.

micbraun and rooman9 like this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The trouble is, their mission (the goal they must strive for, or lose their jobs) is to make as much money as possible. It was fun, watching Jon Cameron and Rhett Jeppson trying to wriggle around that topic at the Mint Forum. :)

Jwt708 and Paul M. like this.
  13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I thought Ike put a stop to it?

14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Exactly. That's what I realized as well. I still have my sets that I enjoy working on, but instead of branching everywhere. I've decided to narrow my fields down. Maybe work on building a type set. A nice AU-BU coin.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  15. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I just went mad when I first started to collect, taking in anything and everything I could get my hands on. I am a little more educated than I was a few years back and if I had it to do over well, hindsight is 20/20. Still, I have tons of 'lesser' stuff now to put into some kind of order for my son to inherit. Plus, I need to insure what I have so here I am. I'm learning though.

Eaglefawn and hotwheelsearl like this.
  16. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Tell that to the US Mint. They appear to have short memories.

17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No, you probably don't.

Yes, you probably would.

I've been collecting since I was about 10 years old, now in my 50s, and I own a grand total of just 269 coins in my collections. And frankly, I'd like to thin the herd to about half that.

Paul M., micbraun and hotwheelsearl like this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

Reminds me of my clarinet collection. At its height I had about 30 examples. It's now down to 2 :D

Eaglefawn and Paul M. like this.
  19. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Interests wax and wane, it's just a fact of life. I've been collecting since my grandfather got me started when I was ten. But yes, there have been two rather long periods where I fully neglected my coins in search of other interests, jobs, etc. Even when I was collecting my interests and tastes changed over the years. I now have complete, or partial sets that just don't interest me anymore. But there they sit, waiting for...I don't know, interest to rekindle?

20. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Well, sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, dealers make it difficult to collect. I should really start a separate thread on this topic. Yesterday I had a dealer tell me, whom I know rather well, that my 1940 proof Mercury Dime I busted out of an old ANACS PF62 holder, was in reality a highly polished business strike. When I showed him the inside holder the coin was in with the label, he accused me of lying! I then told him, if what he said is true, then TPG's have been slabbing crap for a long time now. How many other misindentified coins are out there? I don't know why he would want it. It's a details coin my friend is letting me hang on to. I have not decided if I want to buy it yet. So after the CT opinions I took it to my only local guy I trust and he tells me this! Here is the coin in question. He also said "it looks rusted." "Just a highly polished regular Mercury." He said the rims were not squared, they are round. Really?
    DSCN6964.jpg DSCN6965.jpg

21. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Tommy...you mention you must insure your coins, please tell me who do you plan to go to for the insurance to cover your coins? I looked into insurance several years ago...2005 or 2006 with Allstate via Renters Ins policy and was advised that it would cost penny for penny what I'd invested in my purchases &/or the then value if sold...in other words if I bought a coin for $75.00 which was worth $300.00 on the market it would cost me the latter for Ins on just that coin. I of course dropped that Insurance idea altogether but as I have noooo room for a quality safe and choose not to safe deposit box coins I thoroughly enjoy perusing I wonder who you go to or will go to for coverage of your little gems? Thankx for the feedback!

Draft saved Draft deleted