Pre-midlife crisis when it comes to coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

I would advise that unless you need to free up cash, perhaps put away the family collection in a safe place so you can revisit it years (decades?) down the line. You may find your passion for that particular stuff rekindled and find the connection to family more compelling. Or, you may find you still hate it, and in the light of more life experience, decide to sell then.

I agree with the statement from Stork noted above. I've "HAD" to sell coin sets & single graded coins in the past and still rue that to this day...hang on to Grandpa's coins (you may have some treasures of value in "future" years even if only G3's you never know) and do what YOU want now...down the road when you have your own Children or Grandchildren who knows what you might "need" or want to leave as an inheritance...just a thought.;)

Paul M. and Jwt708 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I haven't personally invested too much in the coins (gramps did the heavy lifting there!) so it's not like I'll be feeling the loss. Plus there's enough there to get a dozen kids started!

Eaglefawn likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Based on my experience, well over 50 years worth of it, it happens to almost everyone else ! It is totally and completely normal for people to lose interest, and to varying degrees, over the course of their life. Often because life just gets in the way.

I started collecting in 1960 when I was 7 years old. When I began I was quite passionate about it. But by the time I turned 15, not so much. Other things, like girls, simply became more important. I still kept on collecting, and studying, just not to the same degree I did when I was younger. By my early 20's I was married, starting a family, and simply put there were more important things to spend my money on right then. By my mid 20's I was divorced, single again, (like has happened to so many others when they get married too young) and the coin bug came back.

Over the years it came and went, came and went, and came and went again. It was not until I was in my 40's, making a whole lot more money than I did when I was young, that it really hit me big time ! The degree of passion I felt for the hobby when I was young was dwarfed by what I discovered then ! And that passion has only increased since then.

Now oddly enough in my mid 50's I quit collecting coins completely, sold my entire collection. But that was only because I had discovered that it was the study of coins, not the collecting of them, that I truly loved. And now I'm retired, still studying coins, writing about them, teaching and helping others, and in general just sharing what I have learned over the course of a lifetime.

Now few will do what I did, quit collecting completely and yet still be this involved in the hobby. But you can bet that at one time or another, and probably several different times, anybody you ask will have had their interest decrease at least somewhat. Some even stop, and then pick it back up 10-15-20 years later.

Kentucky, Paul M., Eaglefawn and 5 others like this.
  5. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Exactly. I am approximately twice your age, and went away from collecting for a long time, but I came back with the mindset that I would only pick up 1 example of any desired design or series, and that would be sufficient. Maybe try something like that, instead of obsessing over every date and mint mark. You may not have a complete set, but who cares? You would end up having a more diverse collection, and with me, that is good enough. Good luck, hope these responses helped.

John.

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody! You folks have been a great support group :)

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There's nothing wrong with that, and frankly, I don't like them either, at least as personal collectibles. Never have and never will. Unlike, say, a vintage lens that offers a unique rendering or an antique pocketknife that could function today as originally intended, coins just sit there and is something I've never been able to get past. My point is one doesn't have to collect to enjoy and/or be a part of this hobby, so don't think you have to collect something/anything to do so. If the mentioned notes genuinely interest you, that's great and go for it, but don't search something out to collect only for the sake of collecting. If you do, sooner or later you're likely to end up right back where you are now.

8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

To be honest, I didn't really really really enjoy collecting coins until I actually had some extra money to play with. Then I could purchase things that I wanted rather than things that I could merely afford. But then the guilty pleasure syndrome crept in. The first time I paid over $300 for a single coin filled me with both glee and dread. I could more than afford it at the time, but I kept asking myself "why should I afford it? Shouldn't I be using it for sound investments, saving it, or putting it towards something that won't fill me with anxiety over the chance of it getting stolen?" Something just felt wrong.

I have to admit the desire to own expensive coins makes zero sense to me. Yet I own some moderately priced ones. As such, I've found myself passing through phases where the thought of coins made me almost ill to times where I could not stop thinking obsessively about coins or buying them no matter what I did. Sometimes it feels like a disease.

Regardless, when I was younger I did end up selling almost everything I owned. Though I had nothing supremely valuable, I nonetheless now regret it. I wish I had just put them away as others have mentioned and just forgotten about them for a while. Little did I know that a decade or so later the almost debilitating disease would return to conquer my senses once again. Though after a year or so of repeated obsession I'm starting to get weary of the entire subject again, so I've tried to pace myself, seek other interests and limit my exposure to coins to small periods once or twice a month. I don't have this issue with anything else in my life, only with these little historic discs of metal. I have no idea why.

Michael Clarke, TIF, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  9. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

TO EWOMACK: You hit the nail right on the head! :banghead: Of course the mint doesn't help any when they have years where they just flood us with all kinds of desirable coins!!! Me thinks it has become overkill at this point.:eek:

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Any undergrounds?

bdunnse likes this.
  11. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I am 6 Coins away from completing my 20th century type set. After that is the "United States quarters decade by decade type set." 1800-present.

hotwheelsearl and Paul M. like this.
  12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

This is just bizarre. Disturbing even.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Don't worry - she shaves befor I rent her out - LOL!!

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

20th century coins are totally underrated. A full set of mint state 20th century toners with superior eye appeal is a sight to behold. :)

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I did have some Crumb comics at one time but sold them. I just have an underground Italian adult comic left. Extremely lewd. I think it's called Oletrombo.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That's the reason I jumped to ancient coins. No dates, mostly no mint marks (and whenever there is a mint mark, in most cases the mint marks hardly have any effect on price), no issues over whether a coin is MS-60, MS-60+, MS-60* or who honestly cares, and thousands of different coin types to chose from instead of the narrow number of coins in the U.S. coin hobby.

Not to mention that in ancients a variety is not worth mentioning unless you can clearly see it with the naked eye, and in most cases it is not really a different variety unless there is outright a different symbol, legend, reversed letters, or something substantial...and even then most people could care less about small varieties within similar themed coins of the same ruler or can't be bothered to pay anything extra except for die hard OCD collectors.

A few years in the crazy US Coins market is enough to suck the fun out of coins except for the more die hard collectors. The coins are basically the same for decades at a time, there is no high relief or anything really interesting these days (same old presidents and same old themes), and the obsession with microscopic varieties and condition, and slabbing, is just out of control. At least that's how it seems to an ancients/medieval collector like me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    TIF, Jwt708, hotwheelsearl and 2 others like this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The US Mint needs to take a deep breath, pull back and take a close look at what it's doing and why.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not so sure. They've had more success in the last 15-16 years than they've ever had ! So from their point of view, a financial point of view, they're doing everything right. And it's kind of hard to argue with success.

Now they may not be doing what you, me, or a whole lot of other collectors would like them to do - at least if you listen to what is said here on this forum. And they are quite aware of what is said on this forum because some of those who work there are members of this forum - have been for many years. But for them the bottom line is the only thing that matters.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I suppose, Doug. It is one collector's opinion. I know I groused about the 100th anniversary coins not being in silver. And it seems to me that a reverse proof for the 30th of the ASE would have been a natural. But based on your observation, I guess they are being successful.

20. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

Follow the money gentlemen follow the MONEY!!!

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
  21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

This seems correct to me. Unfortunately, the Mint can't achieve this type of success creating collectibles; they have to pump out commodities. This is why we have modern commemoratives with mintages in the millions.

Draft saved Draft deleted