Pre-midlife crisis when it comes to coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hotwheelsearl, Oct 19, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

So I'm 5 shots of liquid inspiration into writing 2 papers tonight and I've come to a realization.

I figured most of you are twice or 3 times my age when it comes to collecting. I started collecting coins at age 8. I'm 21 now so its been half my life. But I realized - I don't actually like coins that much. I've been collecting by date and mintmark for so long but I keep on realizing that so many sets are so expensive to complete due to those pesky key dates. When my grandfather died in 2012 he left it all to my dad, who then gave it all to me. A bunch of good stuff, and it rekindled my interest, but now I'm starting to drift away.

I have decided to transition entirely to foreign paper money. Mainly because they are cheaper and look much nicer than most american currency. And there's so much variety!

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you deal with it?

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I collect type coins for partially the same reasons. I don't need to buy any key dates to feel like I have a nice collection. :)

That said, there are still a few "key dates" for many type collections, but not a lot.

micbraun, oval_man and Santinidollar like this.
  4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes it has happened to me in addition to developing a total contempt for U.S coin grading. So, I now collect exonumia.

TIF, beef1020, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just 3? And what are you 18? Remember - if you ever want to learn, you ask someone that is experienced - and listen to them UNLESS you get the feeling that they are full of crap and you know it all!!

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

try world coins.... tons of variety. all price ranges too. cheap to beyond expensive.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Michael Clarke likes this.
  7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Go with your gut and collect what gives you some passion. Many folks start and stop collecting during different phases of their life, change directions, go back to something etc. It's a hobby that should provide entertainment.

You are young and life has a way of intervening and not allowing time for collecting...so don't pressure yourself.

I would advise that unless you need to free up cash, perhaps put away the family collection in a safe place so you can revisit it years (decades?) down the line. You may find your passion for that particular stuff rekindled and find the connection to family more compelling. Or, you may find you still hate it, and in the light of more life experience, decide to sell then.

By safe I would find one of those airtight containers, make sure the coins are in inert flips/capsules/whatever and throw in a bunch of desiccant. Visit the box periodically to change out the desiccant and otherwise ignore. Years down the road it may be quite the treasure.

As for world collections there are tons of ways to go. Currency, coins, exonumia etc. History, family connection, travel etc can light a spark. One cool thing (coin or currency) is a 'one from every country' collection. Of course deciding what constitutes a country that belongs on the list can be daunting...If you want something more budget friendly (and going by your age) perhaps using a OFEC from your birth year is something that would appeal.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Know it all's? Here? Tell me it ain't so! 15 minutes into the debate tonight, I knew they know it all...:hungover:

JDcahill and Markus1959 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Collect comics? I got about 10,000 to unload. (Mods...not an offer to sell;))

10. hotwheelsearl

I just turned 21 two months ago:)

11. hotwheelsearl

depends - are they drawn in a neoclassical style :hilarious:

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. Markus1959

Oh - just don't make videos and say you own a BMW while you have braces on your teeth that your mom paid to have them put on cause you were 13 and she actually wanted you to find a girl instead of Youtube!!!

tommyc03, bdunnse, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  13. Markus1959

CHEERS!! Have fun!!

14. hotwheelsearl

I own a super expensive Razor scooter that I use to scoot around to class and such :) and actually I do have braces :( but they're coming off...soon...

Kentucky and Markus1959 like this.
  15. Markus1959

Great! Cool as heck!!

16. Markus1959

Damn - and I have a super expensive "scooter" that needs a razor!

17. hotwheelsearl

Those 25 dollars were the best investment of my life XD

18. Markus1959

Funny - you just said you turned 25 - you got YEARS to find and do much better!! (God letting you)

19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Bingo. There's your problem right there. The obsession to collect complete date sets can make you crazy. I mean, how many Washington quarters or Jefferson nickels does one person need? Except for those tiny little dates and mint marks, THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE!

Collecting doesn't have to just be about filling holes in an album. It can be about acquiring coins that capture your imagination for any reason, be it their design, history, whatever. Move past the date set mentality and try looking at things in a different light. You might be surprised what you find.

TIF, micbraun, Eaglefawn and 2 others like this.
  20. hotwheelsearl

I'm just a little OCD especially when it comes to coin folders with so many empty slots... But honestly. They do all look identical. I think if I was to stay with coins it would be strictly for a high-grade type set sort of thing. I don't really need 60 Barber Halves at AG3, but I do need 1 Barber at MS63. Something like that. I think I'll lock away the coins for now and see how I feel in a couple years or something. Not like they're going away anytime soon ;)

imrich, gronnh20 and Paul M. like this.
  21. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

A lot of people are a little OCD. Best way to avoid the empty slot problem is to get rid of the folders :D

The only two coin albums I work in are type sets...rare is the spot that I can't find something affordable. Or, modify to suit my needs. One spot in my Japan type album was for a trade dollar. Way too pricey in the beginning, but I had a very chopped up yen that fit in the slot...and functioned as a unit of trade outside Japan. Mentally and physically it fit.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted