pre-64 nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ImTheCrew, May 11, 2010.

1. ImTheCrew

ImTheCrew Go Titans

Ive googled this a few time and have never been able to find a specific answer.

Is there any reason to hold on to pre-64 nickels?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

if you dont want to hold on to them you can just send them my way :)

4. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Haha yeah I'll take em too:) I regularly search boxes of Nickles and personally I keep anything made before 1970 and S mint's. There is nothing different about them metal content wise but I enjoy searching them cause on average you find more old ones. Plus they are already 45+ years old and lets be honest... just like every other denomination over time they will all dissapear and you can say woulda, shoulda, coulda:)
    I figure they only cost me $.05 each and don't take up much space... I maybe have a $100 box full and would be glad to add more to it.

In the end you can always take them to a bank and cash em out for face value, or send them my way, i'll pay you face value for them all day long:)

5. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

I see absolutely no reason to hoard pre-1964 Nickels, since 1938, the Jefferson nickel has comprised of 75% copper and 25% nickel alloy. There are a few years, 1942-1945 where wartime composition was comprised of 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese. When silver hits an all time high, these nickels are worth the bullion value, but due to the cost of smelting and refining the silver out of the alloy, it quickly becomes a break even proposition.

6. USCoinsInfo

USCoinsInfo Junior Member

I collect them. I enjoy collecting them and filling up holes in my books. They are free and quite old, it is nice you can still find coins this old in circulation and you have a great opportunity to keep them. If you don't want them I'd be glad to take them off of your hands for you :)

7. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I keep them. I even buy them (in bulk) for a premium over face. They're fun to sort for roll sets. The 1938-1964 sets do have a premium over face.

8. Mike rutecky

Mike rutecky New Member

I have about 2-3 lbs of 1940-1964 nickels if any one would be Intrested

Draft saved Draft deleted