pre 1965 nickels

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by skane, Mar 4, 2005.

1. skane

skane Senior Member

Other than the war nickels, is there any value to the pre1965 nickels other than just the value based on grade, mintage, errors, etc.
    For some reason I had been saving all pre 1965 nickels since I was a kid. At that time I thought they had some silver composition that would make them more valuable than ones dated 1965 and newer. So now I have this hoard of pre 1965 nickels that I thought had some silver value.
    Obviously that is not true, but is the only value they have based on the normal valuation criterion?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

What do you think? Pre-war Jeffersons were .750 copper, .250 nickle. Postwar Jeffs, as well as the Lewis & Clark nickles, are .750 copper, .250 nickle.

4. skane

skane Senior Member

I hope I'm misinterpreting the tone of your response. I respect your knowledge, but am not sure that I understand the reason for that type of response.
    you confirmed what I was thinking and I thank you for that. Your knowledge is well respected. Give us newer folks the same chance to gain that knowledge without insulting.
    Thanks

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I'm truly sorry that you had that reaction to my posting.

It was not intended to be sarcastic or critical, but rather as an exercise in the Socratic method of teaching I was familiar with as a law student and former law school instructor.

On re-reading it in the light of your comment, I can see how someone without that background could misinterpret it, and again, I apologize.

6. skane

skane Senior Member

Accepted. Thank you for your graciousness.

7. jblaine10

jblaine10 New Member

Hold onto those puppies.

8. skane

skane Senior Member

For what reason?

Draft saved Draft deleted