Pre 1960 nickels worth holding on to?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Scrumhalf2, Jul 18, 2009.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I should add that since AU's an XF's are so relatively scarce
    that these would sell for nearly as much as an unc. Of course,
    this really applies to nice examples much more than typical
    worn die strikes and poorly made specimens.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am not going to dispute anything you have written because I believe most of it to be true. However, it is of little consequence IMO because I think the entire Jefferson series is really only collectible in gem+ MS grades.

As an example, the following photo is of a 1952-S NGC MS67 with a total population 32/0 and is worth $120 (Numismedia Wholesale). The Lafayette Dollar on the other hand in MS66 with a population of 146/13 is worth $15,000. The older Jefferson Nickels can't have that much demand.

[​IMG]

4. immytay1

immytay1 Member

I was reading this magazine and this one dealer in arizona is paying 7 cents for pre 1960 Nickels

5. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

Hi why is the 82p so important

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I'm not sure it's especially important but it doesn't appear in regular mint sets. These sets are the backbone of the supply of most moderns and can be almost the entire supply of high grade coins.

The '82-P is not only poorly made reducing its availability but comes in two major types increasing its demand.

There's a minor type as well.

7. About Good

About Good Junior Member

I bought a 1950-D pcgs ms66 about 5 years ago......I dont collect nickels, but I thought it was a deal, and bought it.

I paid $45.00 for it. How much is it worth today? thanks..

8. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

thanks for the info,I had quite a few of them but did not know that their where 2 types I'll have to start looking again

9. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Mr. Boss: The 1982 and 1983 coins in all series are worth somewhat of a premium in uncirculated grades because the U.S. Mint did not produce any uncirculated sets for collectors in those years, and nobody saved a lot of the coins in mint state. Therefore, while they are common, they are difficult to obtain uncirculated.

About Good: This is not the place to post coins for sale; it's against the forum rules. Since you have over 10 posts, you are free to post coins for sale in the "Open" forum on CoinTalk. You might want to consider editing your post and moving it to the open forum before a moderator comes by and sees it.

10. I save every coin I find, of all denominations, from 1964 or older. Hello, OCD.

I also save any coins from any age that are in good enough condition, even if I already have an example of that date/mintmark in my collection. I call it my "trade stash" but I really have no intention of trading it away, I think more likely I should just call it my spare stash. If I should drop or damage a coin by accident, then I know for most of them I can go into my spares stash and find another good example, at least from the 1965-1998 era.

Draft saved Draft deleted