Pre-1900 Coins. Possible Proof?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by TheNewKid, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TheNewKid

TheNewKid New Member

Here is my second posting to get some advice from all of you on the worth of some coins I acquired at a yard sale.

First is an 1933 Half Dollar.

Second is an 1876 Seated Liberty (POSSIBLE PROOF?) It is labeled mishandled proof on the 2x2...it does have more luster than a normal coin and a slight mirror surface to it.

Third is 1900 Barber.

Fourth is a 1913-Type 1 Buffalo Nickel.

Thanks again everyone! If the results are good, I'll post some more of my buys to get a price idea.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1833 Bust: Looks like a decent VF

1876 $1/2: I don't see it as a proof. The rims are not squared enough.

1900 Barber quarter: Possible AU, but probably cleaned, and a mark on the rev shield.

1913 TY 1 Buff: Possible AU.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Whenever I see "nicer" coins that come from a yard sale (or, much worse, a flea market), I'm very nervous about counterfeits.

I don't see anything about these that screams fake. I looked pretty closely at the seated half and Barber quarter images. I don't see "mushy" details -- trails leading from the letter serifs toward the rim, for example -- or obvious problems with the denticles. The date on the Barber quarter looks a bit off to me, but it might just be the photo.

I agree with @Treashunt -- I don't see anything to make me thing the seated half is a proof. But I'll defer to the many folks here who are more familiar than I am with the series and with early proofs.

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I like #1 and #3 but #2 doesn't look like a proof to me either. As far as the Buffalo the rims don't lead me to go AU either but it is a nice coin. Maybe XF45 though.

6. TheNewKid

TheNewKid New Member

Thanks everyone! Is there an approximate grade on the Seated Liberty Half?

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I would say AU50/53...? It may depend on the luster though... I can't tell from the pics if there's still enough luster left in that coin.

8. coins776

coins776 no title

none of them are proofs

Draft saved Draft deleted