Pre 1601 Kraus catalog?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Stewey99, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Stewey99

Stewey99 New Member

Hi, I have the Kraus world coin books for 1601-1700 and 1701-1800 but it doesn't look like they publish anything for earlier time periods. Does anyone have recommendations for basic overview guides for world coins 1400ish-1600? thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As far as I know, there is no catalogue like Krause for coins earlier than 1600. If you want to go further back than that, you'll need a specialized guide.

Tell us what countries or areas of the world you are interested in, and we may be able to suggest something.

Oldhoopster and The Eidolon like this.
  4. Stewey99

Stewey99 New Member

Thanks, I was looking for more information on Spanish Netherlands pre 1600. I saw some coins in an auction that looked neat but I didn't bid since I had no reference for value. I looked on the NGC database but it didn't seem to have too much. I wondered if maybe there was a useful reference book I'm missing.

5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

The Dutch might have some good coin books on that time period, if you can read Dutch. I collect old Italian States coins and I've picked up some Coin books from Italy that do a much better job than the Krause catalogs.

The Eidolon likes this.
  6. Mister T

Mister T Active Member

I vaguely remember that there were plans for a 1500-1600 Krause (might have been partially written) but it was never published.

You'll have to go with some specialty reference - not sure what your options are but auction lots might have numbers from a good reference book.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Price guides and old auction catalogues are just guides. Since the
    COVID19 situation started, you can just throw away even the most current
    guide. I bid on the coins I want and I bid strong, sometimes many
    multiples of the estimate. You might pay a bundle for a coin(s), but there
    is a cost for pride of ownership. I look at my coins quite often and am
    happy I own them. Sometimes the opportunity to own a rare coin is
    rarer than the coin itself. If I am put in a position that I have to sell
    and I lose money than I look at the loss as pride of ownership. Besides,
    it's only money and you can't take it with you.

serafino likes this.
  8. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Draft saved Draft deleted