pprp's Top 3 for 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by pprp, Dec 28, 2019.

1. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This was quite a productive year, with several nice coins at fair prices. Here is my top 3 in no particular order.

Wishing a happy numismatic 2020 to all!

Thrace, Maroneia.
    Circa 436/5-411/0 BC. Stater (silver 14.23 g, 27 mm). Magistrate Posideios. Free horse springing to left; above, Corinthian helmet to left; below ΜΑΡΩΝ Rev. ΠΟΣΙΔΗΙΟΣ Grape vine with four bunches of grapes and four leaves. Schönert-Geiss Die Münzprägung von Maroneia (1987) no.151.1 (this coin), Babelon Traité des monnaies grecques et romaines (1932) II/4, 1459 Taf. 341, 4 (this coin), Allen B. West Fifth and fourth century gold coins from the Thracian coast (1929) no.21a (this coin). Very rare, one of two known. Toned and struck on a broad flan. Very fine.

ex-Bank Leu Auction 15, lot 162, 4-5 May 1976; ex-Collection De Nanteuil, lot 715, Auction Florange-Ciani, Paris 1925

upload_2019-12-28_10-41-16.png

MACEDON, Akanthos. Circa 500-480 BC. AR Tetradrachm (17.01 g). Attic standard. Leopard left, attacking bull crouching right; floral ornament in exergue / Quadripartite incuse square. Desneux 21. Near EF, very rare, possibly the second known, the other in Boston MFA.

upload_2019-12-28_10-42-34.png

BRUTTIUM, Rhegion. Circa 425-420 BC. AR Tetradrachm (30mm, 16.65 g, 2h). Facing lion's head / Iokastos (or Aristaios?) seated left, holding scepter; grape bunch on vine to right; all within laurel wreath. Herzfelder 61 (D35/R50); HN Italy 2491; SNG Lloyd 685 (same dies); SNG München 1578 (same dies); Winterthur 529 = Pozzi 324 (same dies); de Luynes 789 (same dies). VF.

ex Baron Friedrich von Schennis Collection (J. Hirsch XXXIII, 17 November 1913), lot 262; F. Martinetti Collection; G. Nervegna Collection (Sambon-Canessa, 18 November 1907), lot 627.

upload_2019-12-28_10-42-50.png

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

Very nice coins with character and prestigious pedigrees in addition. Well done! I also wish you a similarly successful numismatic 2020!

pprp likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

All three are wonderful examples. My favorite is the Akanthos.

pprp likes this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Three great coins, I prefer the first one : nice horse and terrific reverse

Q

pprp likes this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Stunning examples, very artistic designs! Wish you a great 2020 coin year!
    John

pprp likes this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Ohh man! That Akanthos artistry is breathtaking:artist:
    And I've always loved the facing Lions:cat:
    6801008F-6A29-4872-AED6-0DF570A53802.png

Andres2, pprp, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That Acanthus is something you don't see every day. Could you take a high resolution image of the obverse at some point? I'd love to see more of the detail.

9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Quite an amazing top 3, to say the least. Congrats on an impressive year of collecting.

pprp likes this.
  10. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice 2019 purchases. I also like the Akanthos. A large coin with cool details.

pprp likes this.
  11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coins, thanks for sharing.
    I do not remember seeing a leopard. It is superb.

pprp likes this.
  12. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Lovely examples. The Maroneia stater is particularly appealing to me.

pprp likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow! Very nice Top 3! I really like them all, and can easily imagine me having any of them in my collection. Well done, @pprp

pprp likes this.
  14. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

15. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I agree with your interpretation: the claws and circles on the body are very leopard-esque. Yes, there were some coins with circles engraved on them for stylistic purposes, but it would seem odd that it would only be on the top animal, not the bottom, indicating to me that it was deliberate.

Or some engraver messed up, was scolded by his boss, and the emission was stopped (hence the scarcity of the type :) ).

Severus Alexander likes this.
  16. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Show a photo of a lioness to a kid and tell him/her "this is a girl lion". Then show a photo of a leopard to the kid and ask him/her to describe the leopard... The answer is a girl lion with spots... This is exactly what I think the ancient engraver tried to depict. @Nicholas Molinari I was considering to write an article on the theme, do you think it would fit in koinon?

17. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Sure, go for it!

18. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

All outstanding coins, @pprp, the Bruttium lion's head impressive too!

19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

pprp, Beautiful acquisitions :D! The Akanthos tet is spectacular :jawdrop:. I tend to think the attacking creature was originally meant to be a lion; its physique & tail look more like a lion. Engraving a coin die is like engraving a piece of glass, you can't replace what's been removed but you can alter it to make it look like something else. Maybe the engraver went too deep on a couple of drill points (dots) & then decided to make a pattern on the creatures surface? Food for thought...

pprp likes this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Agree. I prefer leopard with intentional spots to a lion with measles.

DonnaML, Severus Alexander and pprp like this.
  21. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Another leopard from the MFA collection, from Africa. Just happened to see it today and thought of yours.

62C95EC8-9ECA-41D3-9EC0-4373811B1A10.jpeg
    2BDA0AE9-D5B0-4DFF-AD02-9501912EDC97.jpeg
    Sorry for the blur—I was chasing two kids on my own!

Alegandron, TIF and pprp like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted