POW Camp money?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by petronius, Aug 22, 2013.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

Hi to all :)

These tickets, are all POW Camp money?

POW Camp.jpg

The first on the right is clearly a paper money of Papago Park POW Camp, Arizona, but the others?
    They have no name of Camp, or indication of their use in POW or Civilian Internment Camps, like everyone I know, and I could not find them on Lance Campbell's Prisoner of War and Concentration Camp Money.

The owner (they are not mine) says that they come from his grandfather, that was a war prisoner at Papago Park, but this could be another discrepancy, because seems to me that at Papago Park there were only German, and not Italian prisoners.

Someone could clarify?

Thank you.

petronius :)

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is entirely possible that Italian prisoners of war could have been incarcerated there early in the war - but most of the prisoners there were U-boat crews that had been captured. It was the scene of a famous escape attempt where some Germans tried to escape by building a raft and floating out on what they thought would be flowing rivers but turned out to be seasonal rivers only - when they escaped the rivers were dry - so they were quickly caught. They planned on floating their way out to the Pacific ocean!

petronius and jello like this.
  4. Manbeast

Manbeast Collector

petronius likes this.
  5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Interesting. I believe Papago was also where many of the pow's were let out on their own during the day to work, returning at night to lockdown. I always heard many of them stayed after the war.

petronius likes this.
  6. petronius

petronius Duke

Thank you all for history informations :)

But someone can definitely confirm that all notes showed in the picture were used in Papago Park? (or another POW Camp).

petronius.

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I forwarded the picture of these chits to one of the leading collectors of WWII POW money in the US. He was not familiar with the stockade exchange chits. He is checking with other sources to find additional information.

8. petronius

petronius Duke

Thank you lettow :)

petronius

Draft saved Draft deleted