Potty Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dwhiz, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Yesterday my lady friend and I went to Adamstown, Pa. There's a lot of antique shops there. So this one of many we went thru she calls out to me
    to check out some hobo nickels. All well and good, I look into the cabinet and next to the hobo nickels are 5 potty dollars 4 of which are just wizzed to death @ $250.00 ea and the 5th one at $300.00 not so bad but the carving was not that great, same could be said about the hobo nickels. Wished I had my camera with me. Well to make a long story short I didn't even offer on any of them.
    Unfortunately I purched no coins but I did find a Bullwinkel Pepsi glass 002a.jpg

phankins11 and longnine009 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There are some original 19th century potty dollars that are fairly good. But there are many more that are pretty crude and I believe were created later. I have been looking for a nice example for my black cabinet for awhile, but the one I want alludes me.

4. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

What is a Potty dollar as I have never heard the term

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

6. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

Thanks for explaining it, those are a riot to see

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Sounds like you did just fine sticking with the Bullwinkel glass dwhiz. It seems to me that a lot of those Potty Dollars are poorly made but good ones do sell for a premium.

Bruce

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Those seem to be some poorly carved ones , wonder what a nicely carved one would go for .

9. bmk

bmk New Member

Hobo nickels

can you tell me the name of the store you went to dwhiz?

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

This coin of "You know who" doing "You know what" from the Solomen Islands seems to be a bit "potty." :devil:

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Potty Trade Dollars were carved like Hobo nickels and this is a common style.
    I found some with Seated Liberty coins too.
    Found on Google
    Further found on Heritage

"No Free Trade" was a quote dating in the late 1890's.
    potty.jpg

12. benji18wright

benji18wright New Member

I am searching for Potty Dollars. Can anybody help?

13. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

I'm near Philly, love going to Adamstown! I know what you mean, the coins there are a little overpriced sometimes.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Can I make you an offer for Bullwinkle?

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Most of what I have seen are way over priced.

I would hate to break up my Rocky & Bullwinkle set.
    Try eBay

Santinidollar likes this.
  16. Goldee

Goldee Supporter! Supporter

Saw my first hobo nickels yesterday at a coin show. Funny

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And a quote that is making quite the resurgance today. Oddly enough the phrase "No TPp" would fit a modern potty dollar perfectly lol

...Not political, just a funny thought

18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Lon Chaney, tried the link you posted twice, brings me to a generic Apmex page and the search function says "no results found" for "potty dollar." Am I doing something wrong?
    Steve

Mickey in PDX likes this.
  19. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

No they say they have no examples at this time. Do a Google Image search for potty dollars

20. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Trade dollars ceased to be legal tender after 1876. Thereafter they were purchased as bullion, and usually used to make transactions in Asia with a mutually agreed unit of reliable weight and fineness.
    In America, they traded at melt. Sometimes you could get one for seventy cents. That made them attractive as bullion, as souvenirs, as watch fobs, as hollowed out receptacles for smuggling opium or diamonds or whatever, and as a cheap canvas for a silversmith to create a work of art.
    So to speak.

MKent likes this.
  21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted