Potentially dangerous forgery

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Jul 28, 2021.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

There's a market for high quality fakes in countries where ancient coin collecting is now illegal. But the quality of this fake - which even has flow lines - is too good. Please don't tell Lanz about this.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

CoinLandia also has an Etsy page which makes it easy to see the 128 types of coins they currently offer.

Although they say were founded in 2013, they offer a Neapolis stater for $61 that was struck from the same dies as one I purchased as a replica in 2002 from an eBay seller.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks for the Etsy link. I looked at all their offerings and saw none that should deceive even if the items were made correct size. Those who are not familiar with the coins under consideration to the point that these are 'deceptive' prove the point made here over and over again that they need to buy their coins from a trusted and knowledgeable dealer. Most of these coins copy rare or desirable types but the style varies from no good to horrible. Whether this company or others like Slavey or Antiquanova, the ones that look worst to me are the ones that copy coins about which I know the most while I might be fooled by some that copy originals I have never seen. Of the bunch, one stood out as hilariously terribly very awful. The write up on it even points out that it is just plain wrong.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/937541...othonis-museum?ref=shop_home_active_116&frs=1
    I do believe that these several companies making these fakes are providing a service to people who live in countries where owning genuine coins is against the law. I wonder if we will be buying these fakes when our local authorities break down our doors and send all our real coins back to wherever they believe it came from. I'm hoping that does not happen in my life time.

A question: which of the coins below would be more welcome in your collection:
    [​IMG]
    rm6950bb1129.jpg
    The first above is higher grade and available for $42.89 from Etsy. The second cost me $45 a few years ago. For a little more, you can get coins which show her as a bit more pretty but these last three would be illegal to own in some places because they are actually ancient. When private ownership of coins is illegal, will you still be interested in the subject?
    rm6930bb0977.jpg rm6940bb0354.jpg

PeteB and Bing like this.
  5. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Some forgers have re-learned that extreme wear makes their mistakes easier to spot. Here is a worn Antiquanova.com replica above a mint state replica.
    worn-sousek.jpeg

When you see these unconvincing fakes, don't just think about how they look fresh from the artificial toning bath.

Bing likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How familiar are you with this type? I am barely aware of it at all so am in no position to comment on that type. My only example of the coin is fourree and not exactly the sort of ting that qualifies its owner as expert. I got it in 1990 from Fred Shore (of Parthian book fame) whom I trusted then and now BUT I really have no idea how expert he is in this area. The coin, as a fourree, may be little better than the new fakes.
    g30690bb0426.jpg

You make a good point that a little added dirt and wear can make a fake look better but, in all honesty, only to someone who really should not be buying a coin like this without the assistance of someone better than me by a long shot. I know the guys at NGC must have handled a few hundred of these in the past (making it a little scarce since most come to them by the thousands). I seriously doubt you would fool them with a modern fake with all the dirt you choose. The coins in my experience area offered by these sellers are not even close to believable style. I suspect the rare ones not in my area will strike the collectors of that type just as wrong.

I might add that I have never seen a solid example of this stater as worn as my fourree. That bothers me.

Ed Snible and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted