potential ink smear? advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bryantallard, Oct 27, 2016.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

my friends mother brought this to me knowing I roll search for errors. I thought it was a marker at first which we have all seen from tellers, at a closer look though, it seems almost to be "coating" the bill? as in on top of the bill but not absorbed?? bleed through on back? I am trying to explain what I see as best as possible. I hope it helps YOU...help ME :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's Post Print Damage or PPD. Someone elderly with poor eyesight used a marker to note that it's a twenty dollar bill. Very common. Usually in Red, sometimes Black or Blue but they always use on of the top corners.

4. bryantallard

ok ty. I have seen that before but usually you can see the bill beneath. I have seen it so dark before.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yeah, that can be very dark. It's like the $2.00 bills, usually with red seals. The corners were torn off so they knew the difference.

6. I beg to differ with the above response concerning the red seal $2.00 notes. I've heard that $2.00 bills were considered unlucky, and tearing off a corner of the bill would let the 'bad luck' flow out of it. That's why you see so many damaged like this. But even back then they didn't circulate much.

7. bryantallard

I remember hearing something about those. curse of the deuces I believe it was called. not sure of specifics.

8. Erik Soderstrom

Erik Soderstrom New Member

What a shame it is that so many $2 bills got damaged in that way. I have a bunch from 1928, 1953, and 1963. It seems mostly the red seal years. The more modern green seal FRN's don't seem to have nearly as many. Do you think it is due to the fact that more people were collecting 2 dollar bills from 1976 bicentennial reverse issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted