Postumus was a Marvel fanboi from the future

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by fomovore, Mar 11, 2021.

1. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Postumus double sestertius, 260-269 CE, 20.48g, 31mm
    Obverse: [IMP C M CASS L]AT POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: [P M TR P COS II P P] / S - C, the Emperor in military attire standing left, globe in right hand, and spear in left.
    RIC V/II 106; Bastien 63; Coh. 246; Elmer 213. DSC_2248.JPG

DSC_2260.JPG

I'm not a fan of the superhero movies at all, but I knew these "horns" reminded me of someone...

loki.png

The mystery of his origin has been solved! You're welcome, science.

Post your proof below.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

They're fighting words!:eek::mad::mad:

Nice Loki reverse.

I've seen more Postumus double sestertius lately but a condition to price hasn't made me pull the trigger on one but it's on that ever-growing list.[/QUOTE]

Ryro likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's mine, same type but in worse condition, heavy, reddish patina. Rather than horns, Postumus' helmet looks like an 18th century military cap from the Napoleonic era.

Postumus

A.D. 260

Ӕ Double Sestertius

Obverse: L IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMUVS P F AVG; radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: P M TR P COS II PP S C; Emperor in military attire stg. l.; holding globe and spear.

Reference: RIC V Lugdunum 106

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    fomovore, zumbly, panzerman and 4 others like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I am not really into ancient bronze coins as yet, unless I have to (Caligula AS). Here's my Postumus coin.

Postumus Anton All.jpg

Antoninianus of Postumus, Obverse: IMP C POSTUMVS P F AVG “Emperor Caesar Postumus Pius Felix (dutiful, patriotic) augustus.” Reverse: FIDES MILITVM “Fides military” Fides was the personification of good faith and confidence. Here she is holding military standards. Sear 10940

It looks like he was hoping for good faith and confidence from the military. That was very reasonable hope given the fact the troops could turn on you at any time and choose someone else. That's what happened to Postumus when he refused to let his soldier pillage the captured city of Mainz. They turned on him and made a black smith emperor for a while.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Which does raise the question, "was someone at Marvel really taken with one of these coins...?"

7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice coin! Here is the antoninianus version of it:

Rom – Postumus, Antoninian, Kaiser stehend.png
    Postumus, Gallic Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 261 AD, Trier mint. Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG; bust of Postumus, laureate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: P M TR P COS II P P; emperor helmeted, standing l., holding globe in r. hand and long spear (points up) in l. hand. 24.5mm, 2.94g. Ref: Mairat 108/109; RIC V Postumus 54.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I can offer my Rottie also name "Loki" no horns though/ just good looks.:D ddf6e0fb821e33b32c3b03e137474642.jpg

9. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

@Mat
    Well, I'm ok with Deadpool and Hellboy :)

Yes, they aren't cheap usually, but I really lucked out, I think, due to others fighting over the better looking ones.

10. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

@ancient coin hunter
    More time traveling evidence right here. I wonder if it's too soon to name names?
    Gaul = France, emperor = emperor, bicorne hat = bicorne hat. Need I say more?

PS. Boy, does this remind me of those "ancient aliens", etc. shows and now I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  11. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

@-jeffB
    I'd say it's possible. I guess most scriptwriters and so on are quite well educated, but this makes me wonder why Hollywood and comics writers hate history so much.

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Ole' Posty also appears to have been a fan of Squidward's art.
    Postumus RIC 89 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).jpeg
    maxresdefault.jpg

13. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I really like the OP coin! It was my first Postumus. Here is a little pedigree:

ex Julius Germanicus Collection (bought from french eBay dealer Centre Collections on 13.03.2016 for 121 Euros), ex Künker e-Auction 18.11.2018 (lot 91), ex Künker e-Auction 30.11.2020 (lot 424).

Further references: Sear RCV III, 11052; Hunter 114; Bastien 62-3; Banti (I grandi bronzi imperiali IV-3) 45 (10 specimens)

fomovore, panzerman and Cucumbor like this.
  14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

That a Germanic god would appear on a coin of Postumus is in fact not quite as outlandish as it might seem. Postumus had coins made for Hercules Magusanus/Magusenus, who is believed to represent Donar (better known as Thor from the marvel movies). There are many dedications altars in the lower Rhineland region to Hercules Magusanus, typically by Roman soldiers with Germanic personal names. The name Magusanus is believed to derive from Germanic "magath" (modern German "Macht"), meaning power.
    Of course, no coins for Loki were made. In fact no dedication altars or placename evidence suggest that a god of that name was venerated anywhere. Loki is probably a later invention perhaps under Christian influence to take the function of Satan.

fomovore and panzerman like this.
  15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Donnerstag (Thursday) is named after Thor "Donar"= Thunder

Thor/ Wotan/ Loki are really popular names for "Dogs".

-jeffB likes this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm just glad it's from Germanic (or maybe Celtic?), not Latin. If people were going to remember or venerate me with the honorific "Magicbutt", I think I'd rather be forgotten...

panzerman likes this.
  17. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted