Postumus - PACATOR ORBIS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 29, 2020.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity recentlyto buy some Gallic Empire coins. This is not an area I focus on but sometimes you have to just go for it.

Amongst the offerings was this Postumus with bust of Sol.The trade often tries to offer these as rare but I think that they are scarce rather than rare. The quality of engraving on Sol was what sold me on the coin immediately. It is nice to see a coin where the reverse die isn't very worn....

I know that there I at least one of these knocking about in CT Member collections (@seth77). Does anyone else have one?

Postumus Antoninianus

Obv:– IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– PACATOR ORBIS, Radiate, draped bust of Sol right.
    Minted in Trier. A.D. 269
    Reference– RIC 317

3.25 g. 19.41 mm. 0 degrees

RI 115q img.jpg

Martin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a lovely example of a scarce issue. As my "focus" is more on the Nerva-Antonine period, I don't have a lot of Postumus antoniniani. Here's one of the more interesting reverse types.

Postumus SALVS PROVINCIARVM.jpg
    Postumus, AD 260-269.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 2.54 g, 22.4 mm, 12 h.
    Trier (some attribute to Cologne), 1st emission, 2nd phase, AD 260-261.
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS PROVINCIARVM, river god Rhinus, bearded and horned, reclining left, resting right hand on boat and holding anchor in left, left arm resting on urn.
    Refs: RIC 87; RSC 355b; Mairat 1-5; RCV 10991; AGK 88c; De Witte 290; Hunter p. lxxxviii.

dlhill132, Carausius, galba68 and 7 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great antoninianus! Love the Sol portrait.

galba68 likes this.
  5. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

"It is nice to see a coin where the reverse die isn't very worn...."

My Aes of Postumus. A decent but inexpensive example --with a worn Rv die. For some reason it was labeled as a "double sestersius". I recall it being around 20grams but will look it up with the auction firm (CNG, 2013, #??) weight. There was a huge wt variance with these. No silver plating involved here.

[​IMG]

I really wish there was somewhere we could take our coins to have them submitted to a lab grade XRF analysis. These jewelry shops have these things but not being lab grade, I don't believe they will provide trace metals analysis. Thus rather than just saying billion, one would know at least the surface metals composition. A specific gravity test would probably not be helpful with the 1st coin as the oxides would throw the measurements off.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Postumus

AR Antoninianus

Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG
    Radiate, draped, cuirassed but right

Reverse: SERAPI COMITI AVG
    Serapis standing left, raising hand and holding sceptre

Year: 267 C.E.

Reference: RSC 360a, Sear 10991

Mint: Trier

postumus3.jpg

postumus4.jpg

Postumus
    A.D. 260
    Ӕ Double Sestertius, 28mm 22.1 grams
    Obverse: L IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMUVS P F AVG; radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: P M TR P COS II PP S C; Emperor in military attire stg. l.; holding globe and spear.
    Reference: RIC V Lugdunum 106

postsest3.jpg

postsest4.jpg

7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I am not actively searching for these Gallic Empire coinages, but this specimen is very good, one of the more suggestive busts of Sol I have seen.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Cool version with SOL reverse, @maridvnvm ! I imagine those are hard to find... Nice.

Unfortunately, I am not a SOL-Man with my only Postumus... but mine was cleaned (the only coin I have ever let cleaned), with a pretty dramatic change.

RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens ex tif.jpg
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens GREEN.JPG
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens ex tif

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I have a bust of Sol type. I received it in a lot of coins from Roma that contained several of his coins. This photo is currently in my "To be listed on eBay" folder, which means at some point I'll probably sell it on eBay, but since I already have one of his listed and several more in the TBLOeBay folder, and there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for his coins right now, who knows if or when I'll ever get around to listing it. It may wind up, unloved and underappreciated, in my permanent collection:
    Postumus2.jpg

By the way, here's the coin of his that I cherry picked from the lot to add to my permanent collection:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Double Denarius
    Lugdunum mint
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG
    Rev: NEPTVNO REDVCI - Nepture, standing, facing left, holding dolphin in right hand and trident in left; prow of ship at feet
    RIC 76
    23mm, 3.7g

dlhill132, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

That's a PAX AVG coin with the Neptune description....????

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Weird. That's a photo of the old coin that I replaced with the new one from the lot from Roma. I copied it from this page and pasted it into the message:
    http://feltemp.com/Emperors/Postumus.html

Apparently somewhere in the process my computer must have inserted a cached version of the old photo. The funny thing is that when I edit that post the correct photo comes up in the edit box.

Here's the correct photo along with the description repeated:
    temp.jpg
    Silver Double Denarius
    Lugdunum mint
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG
    Rev: NEPTVNO REDVCI - Nepture, standing, facing left, holding dolphin in right hand and trident in left; prow of ship at feet
    RIC 76
    23mm, 3.7g

12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

The OP coin is great. I only have one Postumus. Want more when I read this thread...

Postumus.jpg

dlhill132, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

POSTUMUS struck by Aureolus

RI Postumus struck by Aureolus 268 CE Revolt of Milan Concordia.jpg
    RI Postumus struck by Aureolus 268 CE Revolt of Milan Concordia

dlhill132, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  14. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Very nice coins all!.....@maridvnvm super double portrait...
    I only have one....
    normal_postumus2.jpg
    Postumus, Antoninianus, 260-269, Trier, , Billon 21MM
    Obverse- Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG
    Reverse- Serapis standing left, raising hand & holding sceptre; prow at his feet to left SERAPI COMITI AVG
    RIC-329 Trier mint (AD 267)

Draft saved Draft deleted