Postumus - Gallic Empire

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Marcus Cassianius Latinius Postumus was a Roman commander of provincial origin who ruled as emperor in the west. The Roman army in Gaul threw off its allegiance to Gallienus around the year 260, and Postumus assumed the title and powers of emperor in the provinces of Gaul, Germania, Britannia and Hispania, thereby founding what scholars have dubbed the Gallic Empire. He ruled for the better part of ten years before he was murdered by his own troops. (courtesy Wikipedia)

I won this coin in @John Anthony 's auction of last week. It is interesting in many respects but particularly because it depicts the Graeco-Egyptian god Serapis on the reverse. Introduced by Ptolemy I Soter, the deity was supposed to unify the pantheons of Egyptian and Greek gods so that one deity would appeal to disparate groups of worshipers. The cult of Serapis spread throughout the Roman Empire, even into the Western provinces, as evidenced by this coin of Postumus.

Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG
    Radiate, draped, cuirassed but right

Reverse: SERAPI COMITI AVG
    Serapis standing left, raising hand and holding sceptre

Year: 267 C.E.

Reference: RSC 360a, Sear 10991

Mint: Trier

postumus3.jpg

postumus4.jpg

Hope you like it and feel free to post your Gallic's here!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I saw that one and thought about adding it myself. You grabbed it at a nice bargain.
    I will post one of my Postumus that I got from JA last year.
    My photo is a little dark but trying to capture the silvering.
    Postumus-Mars (MBBH).jpg
    Who doesn't like some Postumus coins?

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done @ancient coin hunter ! Nice coin, great price, and always a good deal from the Coin-Monster himself: @John Anthony !

Here are mine:

RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia.jpg
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia

and how about one minted by Aureolus FOR Postumus:
    RI Postumus struck by Aureolus 268 CE Revolt of Milan Concordia.jpg
    RI Postumus struck by Aureolus 268 CE Revolt of Milan Concordia

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

VERY NICE posts guys!!

Here are two of mine.....

Postumus mars.JPG postumus serapis Bil Ant.jpg

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Serapis was wildly popular among Romans. They had a fascination with anything and everything Egyptian, just as we do today. I remember when the the King Tut exhibit first toured the US - I was in high school in Seattle, and the whole town went nuts. Long lines to see the exhibit like it was Star Wars or something.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I saw it in Chicago... yeah, and I was a Senior in University... you are but a Babe in the Woods, @John Anthony ! :D

8. ancient coin hunter

When I was a kid we went to see the Tut exhibit in San Francisco, pretty cool! And around the time of Star Wars, too. Revisited again at the Cairo Museum back in 2011 on my four month trip to Egypt. I cris-crossed the country, went to all of the Oases (including Siwa, no tips from the oracle but that's OK) and visited all of the original nomes. I saw not just pharaonic but also Greco-Roman ruins.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice lookin' and a cool serapis reverse!

102_6382_zpsc3wftw9m.jpg

I guess I can keep posting my same ol' Postumus coin.

I remember that King tut exhibit, I was 8 or 9 I think.

I composed an adaptation at the time called "King Butt". It was quite popular at Forest Park Elementary that year.

10. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Great coin, I almost bid on the OP coin too. Here's my one and only so far, with the Providentia reverse. Antoninien ancientcoin obv-horz.jpg

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Postumus is one of my favorites. I don't have any of his really spectacular types but 'enough' of he ordinary ones. His coins span the time when silver pretty much disappeared from the coinage both in Rome and Gaul. Postumus' first coins were better silver than offered by the mainstream rulers but fell off to copper looking by the end. A collection of his coins should include both levels of 'silver' and one of his 'double' sestertii.
    AR Salus
    rr1780bb0084.jpg

AE IOVI VICTORI
    rr1885bb3196.jpg

Galley double overstruck on a sestertius of Antoninus Pius
    rr1912bb3190.jpg

12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I remember that I lived across the Bay in Oakland at the time, those were some great memories.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Good looking OP and post coins. I don't have any yet, but am bidding on a few as I type..

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Postumus SALVS AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    Roman Billon Antoninianus; 2.84 g, 21.1 mm
    Cologne, AD 265-68
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Aesculapius standing facing, head left, holding snake-entwined staff; globe at feet, right
    Refs: RIC 86; Hunter 85, 86; Cohen 336; Sear 10985; DeWitte 280.

15. ancient coin hunter

I'd love to have one of those double sestertii!

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. John Anthony

I had a handful of those last year from one of our CT friends in UK. They didn't last long. Ask @Jwt708 to show you what I think is the most magnificent bust of Postumus ever.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Huh?

[​IMG]
    Postumus, AD 260-269
    AE “Double" Sestertius, 33mm, 24.9g, 12h; Colonia Agrippinensis or Treveri mint.
    Obv.: IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: LAETITIA AVG (AVG in exergue); Galley left, four rowers and steersman

Gotta be this one! The relief on the obverse is amazing.

18. John Anthony

That's the one! For those new to these types, many of them were overstruck on earlier sestertii, hence the rough surfaces - that's not from circulation or damage, but from the fact that the host coins were probably not annealed to a sufficient temperature before restriking. But that bust rivals the ones you see on Postumus' aureii.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The mints seem to have lost the knack of working large flans. Most are pretty ugly. Many are flattened a lot thinner than the overstruck ones. Were they earlier coins hammered flat?
    rr1890bb0120.jpg rr1900bb0771.jpg rr1920bb1801.jpg

20. John Anthony

I've indeed seen a few that appear to have been hammered out. Between the hammering and poor annealing and probably low-pressure striking they sure managed to churn out a bunch of big crappy coins, which are nonetheless very interesting to students of the Gallic Empire.

21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My double, which I'm happy with. Still waiting for an ant to call my name. That is a nice one, ACH!

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.32.47 PM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted