Posting Jefferson nickels in order by date

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RonSanderson, Aug 31, 2018.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Well, I've only had the Dansco two weeks, so I haven't noticed anything yet! All my other coins are in plastic 2x2's in trays.

I like the trays because I choose the organization. If I have duplicates, no problem. Throw in a proof and business strike together? No problem. This will get to be a problem with this Dansco as I get the proofs - for which there are no holes.

Thanks for posting the Large S variety. It's obviously bigger than the S on this one.

1941-S
    05c 1941-S full 03.JPG

05c 1941-S full 01v.gif

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Cheech9712, green18 and dwhiz like this.
  4. RonSanderson

1942 saw the beginning of the 35% silver War Nickels. Before that production began in Philadelphia and San Francisco, however, Philadelphia and Denver produced nickels with the standard composition and mint marks. Therefore Philadelphia has two different styles, usually called "1942" and "1942-P".

About 50 million of each were made. The silver version, though, has 10 times as many graded in MS65 and MS66 in the NGC population reports. NGC has fewer than 100 of these graded 5FS, and none with six full steps.

05c 1942 full 07.JPG

05c 1942 full 01v.gif

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

1942-D NGC MS67 6FS

[​IMG]

Next up: 1942-P War Nickel

Santinidollar, dwhiz and RonSanderson like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Keep ‘em coming! This is the sort of thread that can hook a new collector (and maybe keep them from rummaging through pocket change in search of “errors.”)

RonSanderson likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lovely stuff Ron......with a few interjections from Paul......I never tire of viewing what you post, fellows........

RonSanderson likes this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

4887D7C7-4C68-4CA7-9A5A-7FCACE5F79E5.jpeg
    Meant to post this one currently in for grading on the prior page when I commented, but I got sidetracked ogling the Dansco photos. :)

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That 40D. definitely FS.

10. RonSanderson

Wow! That 41-D is just gorgeous. My next one has some color, but nothing like that!

1942-D
    Since production of this coin was suspended in the spring of 1942, there were just under 14 million made. I wonder why Denver didn't switch to the silver planchets like Philadelphia, instead of waiting until 1943?

05c 1942-D full 06.JPG

05c 1942-D full 01v.gif

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Your images are really nice.

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. RonSanderson

Thanks! Coin Talk showcases a lot of excellent photographers, so I always have a high standard to aspire to.

On this one I am not sure if I like it darker, or lighter, like this. Same coin, but a different personality.

05c 1942-D full 11.gif

CircCam likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I would love to add every nickel you've posted to my collection. There are some beauties I those Danscos. Keep'em coming. Can't wait to see the war years.

RonSanderson likes this.
  14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I like the updated one. Highlights the contrast of the strike a bit better.

RonSanderson likes this.
  15. RonSanderson

This is the first of the set of so-called War Nickels, where the metallic composition was switched to a 35% silver, 56% copper, and 9% manganese. To quote NGC Coin Explorer,
    It was anticipated that these replacement coins would be withdrawn by the Treasury after the war, so a large distinguishing mark was needed for the ease of clerks. This took the form of an oversize mintmark that was placed directly above the dome of Monticello. For the first time on a United States coin the Philadelphia Mint marked its product with the letter P.
    The large mint mark might not have been sorted out by the Treasury, but it certainly helped collectors and non-collectors alike notice them and take them out of circulation.

My first example, unfortunately, is not the best. I happen to find the planchet cracks on the obverse to be a good reminder that minting coins is first and foremost a manufacturing process, and that the materials and quality control vary accordingly. You can see that the marks run right up into the rim.

This may be one coin in the Dansco that I might upgrade, since they are still plentiful even with full steps. One might just sneak through eBay at a bargain price.

1942-P
    05c 1942-P full 05.JPG

05c 1942-P full 01v.gif

Edit: Here is a closeup of the marks. Hammering the planchet with the dies can close them up somewhat, but it can't completely remove the evidence that there were irregularities in the metal to begin with.
    upload_2018-9-14_10-24-53.png

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    dwhiz likes this.
  16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

17. Cheech9712

Think your 1942 takes the cake. Super nice. Must be hard to find

18. Cheech9712

Wow. Can't wait. What are you guessing on this one. 41 D

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Cheech9712
    Sure was, now I'm looking for the silver one to go with it. it must be in the old ANACS holder.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. RonSanderson

1942-S
    05c 1942-S full 06.JPG

05c 1942-S full 01v.gif

CircCam and dwhiz like this.
  21. Cheech9712

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted