Posting Jefferson nickels in order by date

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RonSanderson, Aug 31, 2018.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

2009-P
    05c 2009-P full 03.JPG

05c 2009-P full 01v.gif

Pickin and Grinin and CircCam like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

2009-D
    The 2009-P posted above has a regular business strike finish, while this one is the satin finish. There are some planchet flaws that unfortunately mar the field to the right of Jefferson's face. You can see tremendous cartwheel luster on both coins, easily visible in the animations.

05c 2009-D full 01.JPG

05c 2009-D full 01v.gif

4. RonSanderson

2009-S Proof
    05c 2009-S PF full 06.JPG

05c 2009-S PF full 01v.gif

5. RonSanderson

2010-P SMS
    A satin finish nickel from a mint set. Buying a coin in "original mint cello" doesn't prevent it from being slightly scuffed up on the high points.
    05c 2010-P full 07.JPG

05c 2010-P full 01v.gif

6. RonSanderson

2010-D SMS
    Bought with the 2010-P as a pair in original mint packaging. I pity the shop assistant who had to cut apart all these mint sets with a pair of scissors.

05c 2010-D full 02.JPG

05c 2010-D full 01v.gif

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. RonSanderson

2010-S Proof
    I wonder if other people feel like I do - that the strong cameo makes it hard to see the fine detail that is supposed to distinguish a proof strike. I find that I prefer the satin finish reverse of the two 2010 SMS's to that shown here. It just doesn't seem as sharp.

05c 2010-S PF full 09.JPG

05c 2010-S PF full 01v.gif

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. RonSanderson

2011-P
    These posts have reached 2011, the final year in the Dansco.

It's hard to tell when the original collector started putting this set together.

One clue is that the inside back cover lists mintages for years up to 1999, except that there are no numbers listed after 1997. So this album was purchased around 1998 or so. This last page ending at 2011 must have been added later. The last two coins that were filled were the 2007 and 2008 proofs. It seems it was no longer actively maintained for these last 10 years.

So it seems I have already posted all the nickels I acquired in this set. My additions have been very few.

I hope these final three coins do justice to those that came before. Let's see...

05c 2011-P full 01.JPG

05c 2011-P full 01v.gif

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Some very nice nickels posted in this thread, I wished I had kept up and posted some of mine.
    I have two complete collections of MS Jefferson nickels to 2003 with all major varities, as well as proof collection complete less the 1971 s no s which does not count in the set .I sold that coin a few years back....in fact I had 2 ....1 graded 67 deep camo and the other was still in the proof set when I sold it.
    I must say this I loved collecting Jeffersons until 2003 when the Jefferson nickel I knew and loved to collect turned into a "Freak Show" image on the coin.
    The mint / goverment back in 03 should of scrapped the nickel as we knew it and did a complete redesign!
    Can someone please explain to me why coins designed 100 year ago or more designs look better than the designs of today.... I wouldn't buy another U.S. mint product if you held a gun to my head!
    Poor designs, poor quality,and even revisiting designs of past years, ie the mercury dime, SLQ, and Walker half they still took a timeless design and made it look like a cartoon character! Sorry Ron....on venting...nice thread.

10. RonSanderson

I agree on the beauty of 100 years back - Sharply engraved Lincolns, wonderful rugged Buffalo / Indian nickels, exquisite Mercury dimes, delectable Standing Liberty quarters, and elegant Walkers. Wow!

I think the mint made a mistake honoring a person on a coin. Once the person is on it, you cannot move to another design without it being an insult.

We should have stayed with the classic beauties and changed every 25 years, according to plan. I'm sure there were lots of sculptors who would be thrilled to compete for the next design. Just look at some of the more refined classic commemoratives for what might have been.

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. RonSanderson

2011-D
    05c 2011-D full 07.JPG

05c 2011-D full 01v.gif

Other than lacking the mirror finish, the strike quality on Monticello now exceeds the early proofs. Check out the railings around the roof.
    05c 1951 PF #01 full 01.gif

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  12. RonSanderson

2011-S Proof

This is the final coin in the Dansco.

I hope these posts have been worthwhile. I know I have learned a lot from everyone by posting these. Thanks for following along for the 210 different issues spanning 74 years.

05c 2011-S PF full 03.JPG

05c 2011-S PF full 01v.gif

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice set Ron. Do you plan on tucking it away? Putting it on a shelf and forgetting about it?

RonSanderson likes this.
  14. RonSanderson

That's a really challenging question.

A collector finishing a set is like a dog chasing a car. Once you've caught it, then what do you do?

But I have a solution. All my animations are built in vertical and horizontal orientations. The horizontal ones fit nicely on a monitor. I wrote software to put these images on my desktop in random order for 15 seconds each. The album may go on a shelf, but I can see the coins over and over.

Desktop Monitor Display #02.JPG

Of course, once you have the photos, you really don't need the actual coins any more, do you?

Maybe some day I will send in some pieces for grading and sell it off piecemeal.

Or maybe it will sit on the shelf the rest of my days - just in case I devise another, better, photography approach.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice presentation, Ron!

RonSanderson likes this.
  16. RonSanderson

Thank you.

In its way it seemed like an audacious commitment, to post every coin in order, with the best photos I could manage. It challenged me to live up to what I started, but it was absolutely worth it. I more than learned as much as I shared.

Santinidollar likes this.
  17. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

Pretty awesome buy at $2 a coin.....you probably already have a profit on the entire set with just these few coins..nice

RonSanderson likes this.
  18. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

First time I have seen this thread. So cool and very enjoyable going through every page. Would love to do this one day with my Morgans.

RonSanderson likes this.
  19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

This thread rules! Good one to resurrect. :)

RonSanderson and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted