Postal Hike Coming "Up", Biggest Yet

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mat, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

To me it's not a big deal to pay 55 cents to mail first class and be able to send it either across the state or across the country. With pretty good accuracy too might I add. Every business needs to increase what they charge to customers or they will go out of business.
    I am happy to hear that they are going to charge much more for the packages coming from China! I can only hope that it is soo much that those degenerates selling the counterfeit coins that are not labeled as a replica cannot justify selling them in the U.S.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This excerpt from a washington post article, and if you do not believe this source search public records. Remember the contract is just between the PO and Amazon.

"When it sat down to negotiate its deal with Amazon, the Postal Service, in its role as the government-designated postal monopoly, was already required to stop by every home, business and rural post box six days a week, and already had the workforce and infrastructure to do that. In that context, the additional — or “incremental” — cost of delivering the additional Amazon packages would be much more modest. It might involve a few more trucks here and there, or the cost of buying slightly larger trucks than would otherwise have been needed. Perhaps additional delivery personnel would be necessary to accommodate the higher volumes Monday through Saturday. And there’s the extra overtime for providing the service on Sundays, which Amazon required. Looked at from the standpoint of incremental revenue (huge) minus these incremental expenses (modest), the Postal Service could very easily have come to the conclusion that, even at $2 a package, the Amazon contract was likely to be highly profitable"

So I guess if delivery in town is cut to 3 days a week ,and outside 3 miles or more to 'pickup at PO. and be forced to drop Amazon, it could survive a while..but search out the contract info before blaming Amazon who gets a lot of off the cuff responses. IMO. Jim

harrync, wxcoin, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

6. desertgem

China might pay more for small packaging, but the problem is if the Chinese strike back with increase in rare earth costs, it may go the other way. We can't make high quality optics or high wattage storage batteries anymore without rare earth technology and products.

TIF likes this.
  7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It may be profitable for the PO to charge Amazon $2 a package,
    especially when they are charging us $10 a package for the same thing to make up the difference.
    And then Amazon, pays $2 a package and charges us $4.99 for shipping.
    We are getting double dipped ripped off from both of them in this deal.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is private - it is run under contract, but they don't let them run it like a private business. Notice their website URL: www.usps.com, not .gov.

10. Evan8

Would you prefer Breitbart? Couldn't find any fake news sources covering it. But then again I dont look at those sources.....

11. Evan8

Government oversight. They use trucking contractors but working for the post office is considered a government job.

12. Evan8

Ugh im not arguing on the internet. It's political and i dont have a twitter account to carry this conversation over to. Even if I did I would be banned for my views. This is pointless, especially on this site. No one is changing anyone else's views here.

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Luckily they have discovered a source for rare earths in Montana, which should work as a bargaining chip.

14. desertgem

That was back in the 2012-2016 years unfortunately.

sorry I had a url, but it needs subscription, it was MOLYCORP in bankruptcy.

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

we used to mine/produce a bunch of rare earths in the US with several mines.
    Then China prices undercut us. Their companies bought ours (I recall reading articles about 10 years ago before they put an export limit on REM), shut them down and moved the equipment to China. So now we don't have any (or I think just one left) rare earth mines open/recently shuttered. The others are now foreign own and don't look to those opening any time soon.

Molycorp info => https://www.seeker.com/tech/materia...th-elements-tightens-with-purchase-of-us-mine

16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Mining many of the REMs can be very environmentally unfriendly. Several years ago one of the major news networks (I don't remember which one) did a story on China's corner on the REM market and visited one of the China mines. It lacked environmental controls and impacted the health of those working at the mine and those living near it. The costs to get these materials from China are cheap and there's a reason for it. There was an old mine in California that was no longer operating because of the costs to mine it properly. I don't want to get into a political discussion here since it's against the CT rules.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

One great thing Canada Post does is has Free shipping Tuesdays during certain months to give small business a boost . Canada post is a lot higher priced then USPS is. It is not Canada Post that takes time getting items from the US it is Canada Customs that is swamped during parts of the year. Your postal prices are great. Dillan

18. Clawcoins

Yes, it's definitely can be quite caustic. With minimal or no environmental laws it's good for manufacturing to shift to countries (until they get their environmental laws going) to reduce costs. That happened in Mexico when many manufacturers of (automotive, etc) shifted to Mexico, Asia, etc over time.

This article is a good one about REM expansion in Asia ==> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/aug/07/china-rare-earth-village-pollution

But as China increases it's environmental laws, it will raise the total cost of production and thus their sale price. But until then, large swaths of land are probably uninhabitable for decades ...

wxcoin likes this.
  19. Clawcoins

I sometimes order stuff from Canada.
    One thing that was interesting to me a few years ago, was anything from Canada had to fly Air from Ontario to Detroit Metro. It seems like they didn't want things to go over the border via truck. So they went by air, thus pushing up the price of shipments. I don't know if it's still valid or not.

20. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I never heard of that before but I live in the Western end of the Country . That seems a little funny because those places are really not too far from each other. I know one thing for sure is that our postal prices are very high compared to your USPS pricing. That does though sound like something Canada Post would do , they do some weird things sometimes. Dillan

21. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I don't buy anything from China... not if I can help it.

Bambam8778 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted