Post Your Walking Liberty Halfs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chiefbullsit, Jul 20, 2013.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Wow, stunning Obverse!

happycamper747 and giorgio11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

Nothing amazing, but this is coming in the mail. Okay hand and head detail, but the coin seems to lack pizazz. Can you tell I mildly regret buying this, LOL. Maybe it will look better inhand.

1944 50C Obv Slab Coin 010 HA.jpg

1944 50C Rev Slab Coin 010 HA.jpg

4. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If that is a Heritage photo, I would expect the luster on a gem Walker to be much better than the HA photo is indicating. There is definite reason for optimism as this might be a keeper. Are you assembling a short set of Walkers?

geekpryde likes this.
  6. geekpryde

You are correct about HA. Only walker I bought there so far, actually, only the thirs coin ever from there for me.

I bought 12 Walkers in the past month, but not really to make a short set. Maybe I should be making a set though? :) I am going to send them all to CAC and hope most sticker, including the one I bought from you. Then I will pick a few to keep and unload the rest in my eBay store, which I plan to sort of "launch" in a month.

I do really love this design, but I dont really care to collect by series anymore, I just got too bored. Love Type set collecting.

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I got this one back from NGC this week.

100_4872.jpg 100_4873.jpg

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

9. happycamper747

happycamper747 New Member

I'm a newbie and I really learned a lot from this thread! Thank you!
    I just bought my first two Walking Liberty's. I started reading about a short set of 1940's but the folks at my local coin shop talked me into something I liked and suited my budget.

The first coin in the photos is the 1938-D (Good) for $60. I'm happy to have it and I like the encrusted dirt! I can see what is left of the coin. I really like keeping them in Whitman Plastic Holders so I take them out of the box and look at them.

My other purchase was a 1936-D (XF-45) for $17. There seems to be some toning in the field next to the rim on the obverse. The history behind these coins is fascinating.

I'm leaving myself open here but what are some approaches towards collecting these beautiful coins on a budget? From a numismatic point of view? as in '...derive pleasure from the simple ownership of monetary devices and studying these coins as a private amateur....'

1938-D obverse.JPG 1938-D reverse.JPG 1936-D obverse.JPG 1936-D reverse.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  10. happycamper747

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This one came from Mark Feld. Great guy to deal with. He used to post here.
    [​IMG]

12. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That WLH looks beautiful, Larry!

geekpryde, ldhair and happycamper747 like this.
  13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Some really nice Walkers here! I've been puttering around with the early issues for a couple of years. (along with my photos, sorry for the variable quality of pix).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Three Walkers arrived Today :)

1934, 1918-S, 1936

usps_delivery_smiley_animated_v2_zps2ec9ef6a.gif 100_5923.JPG 100_5925.JPG 100_5926.JPG 100_5927.JPG 100_5928.JPG 100_5929.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  15. ksparrow

I like the look of the '34; it's a little hard to assess the 18-s due to the reflected light; might have some interesting toning. I'd probably give it an acetone bath to remove any organic stuff. The '36 seems to be free of significant marks, nice!

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg Here's one of the 2 I own ms 65 gold cac

17. Mainebill

image.jpg image.jpg Here's the other

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

19. Mainebill

I know is super clean tho and the spot is worse in the pics but it is there. I love the design too but is a bit new of a coin for me to collect seriously and you seldom see monster toners. So I got a nice proof and a nice business strike for my type set. Wouldn't mind having a nice obv mintmark example too

Kelly Capone and JPeace$ like this.
  20. happycamper747

I picked up an eye for the collectibles through all the photos of nice Walkers here! Awesome!

Kelly Capone likes this.
  21. ksparrow

A fun series. They look great in MS and proof, and in lower grades as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted