Post your US colonial coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by non_cents, Apr 17, 2013.

1. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Hi folks.
    First off, apologies if a thread like this has already been created.
    I just passed 1,000 posts and I thought it would be fun to start a thread about old US coins. I mean REALLY old. ;) Like early 1800s and older. So this is a thread for anyone that owns US Colonial coins. I find them completely fascinating. I'll start first.
    This is a 1787 Nova Caesarea (New Jersey) colonial coin that I bought off ebay. What I find especially interesting is that the coin was likely minted before New Jersey became a state (it gained statehood in December of 1787). It is probably VG-F details due to the damage/pitting (rims appear worse in the pictures than they actually are), although that doesn't bother me much seeing as how has survived in such great shape for 226 years. :D
    I encourage people to post their Colonials as well, and thanks CT for helping me get to 1,000 posts!

Simon

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

I picked this coin up sometime last year. It's a 1788 Mass One Cent with a Planchett flaw. It's not in great shape, but it is my first Colonial coin, and just couldn't pass it up for the price it was offered at!

1788 - T015 Mass Cent back.jpg 1788 - T015 Mass Cent eagle.jpg

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

NJ became a State in 1783 when the treaty ending the Revolutionary War was signed. At that point it stopped being a colony and became a State under the Articles of Confederation. The December 1787 date was the date it ratified the Constitution. Under the Articles of Confederation the States had the right to issue their own coinage, this coinage was supposed to be based on standards passed by the Continental Congress. Under the Constitution, which they ratified in December NJ, could not legally issue it's own coins.

6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Not the greatest examples but acceptable I suppose.
    This is 1723 Woods Hibernia Halfpenny that is shown in the Redbook as a Pre Colonial Issue

I have other early British fartings and Halfpennies that certainly circulated but the Redbook doesn't list those.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also for my US type coin set, I have a Post Colonial 1781 North American Token which also appears in the Redbook.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I would like to own a Connecticut Vermont or Massachusetts Cent someday to add to this mini set.
    LATE EDIT OBSERVATION: My 500th Post! :too-cool-for:

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Awesome coins posted! Does anyone have a colonial Washington, one that says something like "Washington&Independence"?

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted