Post your Under-Graded Slabs (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 15, 2017.

1. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised this graded MS63.
    Lance.

1926-D PCGS 63RD obv.jpg 1926-D PCGS 63RD rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

4. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

PCGS.
    Lance.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Here's a neat test for you all to determine which of the big 2 TPG's are on top of their game. The first coin is an NGC graded1938 D-S OMM Buffalo , The second is another 1938 D-S OMM Buffalo graded by NGC. Both coins are a variety. All images are posted as to the coin and variety to the grading service . GTG and Tell me what you see ???? PCGS Graded 1938 D-S Obv. PCGS 226.jpg 1938 D-S PCGS Rev. 226.jpg 1938 D-S PCGS MM 226.jpg

NGC Graded 1938 D-S NGC Obv. 226.jpg 1938 D-S NGC Rev. 226.jpg 1938 D-S NGC 226.jpg

6. Paddy54

Here's a little clue.....:sorry:
    Image 1 Pcgs..... downloadfile-178.jpeg
    Image 2 NGC
    downloadfile-171.jpeg

Two graders two different 1938 D omm's

Skyman and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

I dont see much difference between the MMs Paddy. They both look like D/D/S, i am gonna guess only 1 of the 2 graders labeled it as such?
    1) Pcgs looks like a 67 to my eye
    2) Ngc looks like a 66 but im not a very advanced grader of Buffs (yet;))

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am not an expert when it comes to Lincoln cents but... LOL

Okay, let me try again :-D

Grade? Both Buffalos = MS65?
    NGC may have graded it 63/64 though, as they're usually tougher and that's an older slab.

While I am not a variety collector, both coins appear to be FS-511 (triple D over S MM):
    https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/buffalo-nickels/1938-d-d-d-s-buffalo-5c-fs-511-1552/

Maybe one of them just called it D/S while the other company was more specific... or one of them just got it wrong. Or I am wrong.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

They both to look to be the D/D/S variety. My guess on the grades are PCGS at a 66 and NGC at 64.

10. heavycam.monstervam

@Paddy54 when is the reveal?
    I am not drinking Miller today, went with Michelob Light. I had a coupon:lurking:

11. Paddy54

@heavycam.monstervam

Oh sure I could tell you let the cat out of the bag.....but that not a true learning experience . A true learning experience would be like....go to varietyvista.com and Wexler and see if you can figure it out..... I do believe honesty that coin 1 is under graded by 1 pt. Coin #2 is pretty much spot on but in hand both coins look a heck of a lot better than the images provided .
    Since you used your coupon today the extra time spent doing research will mean more time to use the grading juice to help you through yet another Paddy nickel riddle.:bookworm:

12. heavycam.monstervam

Ok ok, i went to wexler and found it rather quickly. WOMM-001 Coneca OMM-001
    I was wrong, its a D/D/D/S I thought the 3rd D was machine doubling, obviously not, if ALL the examples show it.
    Im obviously pretty curious, about grade and what they called the variety. This was a good one! Now back to my Michelob, quite tasty!

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

OK here's the poop!
    Specimen #1 pcgs graded 65 I believe it to be a grade higher a 66 in hand I believe that this one passes hands down. As for the label pcgs calls it a D/D/S . In fact it is a D/D/D/S.
    Specimen #2 ngc this grader to me has always been a tad bit tougher on grading nickels, no matter what series. They gave this coin a 65 . I can live with that grade. They also got the variety correct D/D/D/S.

For some reason pcgs is not whom you want to send in a variety coin. They are extremely picky over what they will and won't grade when it comes to varieties .
    You're better off sending them into NGC or Anacs .
    Now the plot thickens...... go to Wexler site and look at a D/D/D/S variety , then check out Dr. Wiles at Varietyvista.com
    This is where world's collides as Wiles has a totally different variety then does Wexler on the same DDDS variety . The rpm 014 Wexler has proven that it isn't an S under the D! As Wiles has the same variety listed as so!
    My question is who's correct?
    Micbraun {with a N not M} :) did nail it first....but again one can surely see that there is a difference between a D/D/S and a D/D/D/S and a huge difference on the rpm /omm 014.
    When it comes to buffalo's my money is on Wexler.

15. Paddy54

1938DOMM004cd.jpg This here is not a D/D/S 1938DOMM004cg-1.jpg

This is the 014 rpm and I have one at Anacs now waiting on a grade.

16. heavycam.monstervam

@Paddy54 I recall, many moons ago......
    You were trying to assemble every OMM and RPM '38D. What a daunting task that must be? Did you ever complete the set???

17. Paddy54

It's a work in progress .... so many coins so little time and money...
    But that's why you vary the hunt..... you go out and set your sights. But if you don't find your quarry , you keep on searching other varieties.
    All the time storing away any and all knowledge you can.
    Sometimes you get lucky...sometimes ya don't . ....but the hunt is the fun part.....it's what keeps you going to finding the trophies you seek.

18. heavycam.monstervam

Here 2 more-
    #1 ngc 64 downloadfile-2.jpg downloadfile-1.jpg #2 ngc 64pl 20170408_123348.jpg 20170407_150349.jpg 20170407_151712.jpg

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I really like that 1885-O... :p

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well, I suppose, in some quarters, I have proof of an undergraded slab here. Sorry I don't have a picture of the reverse. That's a gold CAC sticker.

IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

21. heavycam.monstervam

Yea I really got over on the guy who sold it to me. It even came w tru views.:troll:

jtlee321 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted