Post your Under-Graded Slabs (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

In fact there were two post on this forum in the last two days about a specimen up for auction . Both parties who were interested could not make the auction ,and sent out their scouts to examine the coin before pulling the trigger .
    I rather pay someone I trusted their fee to examine the coin before laying out moon money on a disappointment .

Paul M. and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mstng02gt

mstng02gt Junior Member

LOL on that we can agree. The only thing is I don't have that much money haha.

In all seriousness though for those of us crazy enough to do it the certification and stickers matter quite a bit. No one needs a sticker to see in hand if a coin is nice lol. But the confirmation does not hurt either.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  4. Paddy54

LOL this entire thread is about paying for confirmation to a third party who is supposed to be able to grade a coin.
    There's been more than enough proof posted to prove otherwise . ....well even a blind pig finds a truffel.
    And a blind pig doesn't need a seeing eye dog to find what he /she knows is there... stop drinking the kool-aid and learn to make solid decisions based on the knowledge you learned . Yes we all are human....and make mistakes...when it comes to my money I'll be the one to either win or loose . Not allow someone else to put it all on 13 black and let it ride!
    Read, learn, research and when you think you know it all go back and start over because ya don't .

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That used to be one of my grandmother's favorite analytical statements, slightly different: "Got more money than sense."

heavycam.monstervam and Paddy54 like this.
  6. mstng02gt

mstng02gt Junior Member

There is much truth to what you say. The only problem is some coins are rare enough that they are not typically found in dealer stock at your local store. When you do find something nice they typically charge crazy high prices and the quality is not always that much better. I buy many coins online. Not all of them are perfect, but all of them are guaranteed by the grader. I have only had 2 bad enough to warrant the guarantee. Both NGC and ANACS honored their guarantee without hesitation.

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Wow I'd love to own that a gold bean and an first gen ngc black slab, wow.

BTW nice coin.

8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That is a stunning Lincoln Cent!! I'd love to own a cent like that someday.

heavycam.monstervam and Paul M. like this.
  9. jtlee321

Dang!!! That is a very sweet coin and holder! I think it's odd that they put the coin in with the reverse out on that one though.

10. mstng02gt

mstng02gt Junior Member

They were all like that in the first gen holders. The NGC embossed logo was supposed to be on top front with the graded label on the back. That was yet another thing that quickly got changed.

heavycam.monstervam and Paul M. like this.
  11. jtlee321

Very interesting information. Thank you for teaching me something about that, I had no idea.

12. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I think this deserves more than a 65. Many of these have carbon spots, fingerprints and just some really ugly coloration. But this one is probably one of the best I've ever seen.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

13. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I feel this coin somewhat undergraded....
    IMG_20170203_134432.JPG IMG_20170216_224306.JPG IMG_20170203_133720.jpg

14. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Rattler MS63 that I've owned for almost 30 years. I was amused by David Hall's response when he saw it at an, "Ask the expert", session at Long Beach a couple of years ago. Basically he went, "OH", and then said it was easily under graded by a point, probably by two. The scratch on the reverse over the 0 is on the slab.

ld1829_63CBH263.jpg

15. Paddy54

Breath taking .....only words I know on that one.

16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I think its unanimous, thus far, skyman is the winner here!! Numismedia value is: roughly-
    Ms63- $2,400 Ms65- $8,300 Ms66- $17,500
    That looks like a 65/66 to my eye, it should warrant a premium for the color imo too!
    Wow just wow!!!!!!
    This tune sums up my feelings for her-

Does that seem a lil weird?:bored:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    furham and Skyman like this.
  17. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed that song, it's good to finally know all the lyrics...

18. jtlee321

Here's an old ANACS Photograde 1939 Mercury Dime MS-65
    1939-Mercury-Dime-Obverse.jpg 1939-Mercury-Dime-Reverse.jpg ANACS-Wallet-Open.jpg

19. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

20. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

At least should have a star IMO.

rooman9 likes this.
  21. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

Those saints look good to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted