Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. There are a lot of collectors out there with budgets like mine. I feel out of place over on the PCGS Forums as most over there see these as widgets. Sorry, I don't belong to the Thurston Howell III collector's club. I just buy what my eye likes and my wallet can afford. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, I've gotta ask -- what else is in your pocket? Because I've been carrying mine for years, and it STILL looks harshly cleaned (because it was) and shiny.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I call my wife "Lovey" does that count???

jtlee321 likes this.
  5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Just these 8...4 in each pocket. I do wear Cargo pants with deep pockets so they move all the time. When they're out of pocket they're sitting on their own stack of Post-it-Notes, yellow, blue and pink.

I work 10-11 hours a day and do lots of walking around our plant, it's huge.
    About a month ago they started calling me .......Mr. Jingles, among other things.

2018-03-16 16.16.31.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Funny. I carry 8 in my pocket also although all in one pocket. I also run a restaurant and these jingle for about 65-70 hours a week.

1879 Morgan Dollar which is my pool pocket marker.

2007 George Washington Dollar proof. Found this in circulation and have been carrying it for about a year now. It’s fun, I have worn the mirror fields off it by now.

1971 Kennedy Half Dollar which was the only non silver coin I found in a hoard of silver halves turned into the bank. That day I got $80 in half rolls and 159 coins were silver and this one. It was worn down to fair and I figure it was someone’s pocket piece who turned them in. I carry it now.

Dateless Standing Liberty Quarter. I got this in change at a coin machine one night shooting pool. One of my most unique finds. It’s my good luck piece. Hopefully I don’t lose it.

1904 Barber Quarter. I carry this to explain the change in metal content in our coinage history.

1993 Washington Quarter. Had a lady pay for food with this and I will never forget seeing the mirrored fields when she dropped it into my hand. It’s a fun piece and has been fun to carry daily and watch it become worn down to about xf-au.

1847 Braided Hair Large Cent. This was given to my as a gift when I was the best man in a friends wedding. It’s special and is the oldest coin I carry.

2005 Lincoln Memorial Cent. This was given to my by a random lady for good luck and happened to be my graduation year. It’s my backup good luck piece and have had it for 14 years. 4 of those years in my pocket with the others.

Man that was a write up. It needs a thread of its own... oh. That other thing, that is my tip pick which is to scuff my pool cue.

All 8 coins and the tip pick were under $50 so I call that a win!

46D48B56-E2D1-4207-B0F2-E7B4374A7CD8.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Skyman, Obone, CircCam and 4 others like this.
  7. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

And guess what, coming back "Not Genuine"...

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ooh, they caught it this time?

9. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Well, I actually reported it through my TPG contact and agreed to a "high level review"... They got to crack it out and I got better images and an XRF scan to aid in the research.

29103399_10211816540704475_7526831045509906432_n.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

11. Pickin and Grinin

That's not a bad photo. When your photo uploads don't forget to click full size image.

12. Pickin and Grinin

This is the third, so, 3 for $149.97 IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

13. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Looks better than a 65 to me

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1871 III Triple Die Obv. Variety Cherry picked @ $20 1871 III TDR.jpg 1871 MERICA.jpg

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1921 Mercury Dime semi key coin $50 on the nose! 1921 Mercury dime.jpg
    I needed this and the 21 D, 29, and 26 S to fill my missing holes in my childhood set.
    the 16 D isn't going to happen. unless I hit the lottery

Skyman, gronnh20, Eduard and 5 others like this.
  18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Paddy54, gronnh20 and Eduard like this.
  19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm not sure since the shadows are throwing me off. It needs to be bottom lit. But be aware that N-13 also uses the same obverse, so unless you're comfortable relying on die state for determination, you really need to see the Reverse.

20. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Each of these cost me well less than $50 even including all PCGS fees (economy secure). Each was about $6 raw. Disappointed that the monster toned one only graded PR65 and the more lightly toned one graded PR66. I wish the grades were reversed. The monster toned one should be at least 66, but it isn't worth the cost of resubmitting. That's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I was more fortunate with the other coins in my submission.

TrueView_34587882_Max.jpg TrueView_34587881_Max.jpg

gronnh20, yakpoo, jtlee321 and 6 others like this.
  21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I have "United States Copper Cents 1816 - 1857" by Howard R. Newcomb ©1956

Newcomb doesn't list an N-13 variety, but I see it under PCGS Coin Facts. I can also see that the Obverse is the same as the N-5, but Coin Facts doesn't list any diagnostics.

N-5: http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/406156

N-13: http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/406179

Here's the Reverse of mine...

1855-Rev.png

I'm using the seller's pics because my camera isn't here at the moment. Sorry.

Can you tell which variety it is from this picture?

jtlee321 and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted