Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The strategy: Become an expert at both the coins you seek and interpreting images of them (it'll help if you become a pro-level coin photographer on your own, along the way), and then look at a few thousand coins a week for the one or two a year that are true steals. Start now; it'll only take a decade or so of 30-40 hour weeks to learn enough.

Cascade likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Knowledge, yes.
    The other part is just luck. I chanced upon this coin at a local show about 15 years ago. I paid about $15. The seller had no interest in US coins and priced this accordingly.
    The pictures are no good. It does have edge knocks as seen, but looks better in-hand.

1921 D obverse1_opt_opt.jpg Coins Jan.12 2008 055.jpg 1921 D dime Reverse1_opt_opt.jpg 1921 D dime close up reverse_opt_opt-2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Curtisimo, Paddy54, Paul_62 and 5 others like this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That's a sweet pickup!!

5. jtlee321

Here's a half dollar I paid $6.00 for back in June of last year.

1938-D-Walking-Liberty-Obverse.jpg 1938-D-Walking-Liberty-Reverse.jpg

6. jtlee321

A quarter I paid $3.50 for back in March of 2015. This was one of the coins that got me back into collecting coins. It's also one of the first coins I tried to photograph, so sorry for the quality of images. I would have reshot it, but it's currently at ANACS being graded. I can't believe I never reshot it.

1932-S VF30 WA Quarter obverse.jpg 1932-S VF30 WA Quarter Reverse.jpg

7. jtlee321

Just got this one this morning. $25.00 on eBay. I really wanted one of these older ANACS Photo Cert's. I love that it comes with the book and is dated from 1981. Now to keep my fingers crossed for full bands on the reverse. If not, I still love Merc's and this one will get put away.

These are the seller's pics. I'll post mine when it's in hand.

1939 Mercury Dime ANACS Photograde.jpg 1939 Mercury Dime close up.jpg

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice one Lee I've been looking for one like this. Nice pick up

9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

For my Washington A toner Dansco. Images by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

35 cents...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Curtisimo, Paul_62, jtlee321 and 2 others like this.
  10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Nice! I want an ANACS certificate.
    Question, are you going to the Portland show? I am planning to go, but one never knows...

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

12. jtlee321

I assume your are talking about the PNNA coming up October 7-9th? I plan on going on Saturday.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  13. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

I paid $13 and according to the price guide I over paid, which I'm totally okay with. Coins like these show that you can put together a very nice collection for not a lot of money.

[​IMG]

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The 62 proof Jefferson nickel was a well struck coin ,that seems to tone in some of the prettiest colors of the series .
    I have several and I couldn't pick just one to keep. That's why I have several. Also your Avatar I love that $5 gold comm. At one time I had over 8 of them. Was buying them under $110. Each. When gold went up I sold them all....sorry to say. But it is one of the nicest $5 gold comms. Out there.

Paul M. and OxJaw like this.
  15. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

It is also one my favorite commemorative, I also really like the 1987 $5 gold as well. They were very well struck and can be had for not much above spot. What's not to love? Too bad you can't still find them $110.

16. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Here's another. I gave $45 for this one. Photos shamelessly stolen from the seller:happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Dude! :hungry::wideyed:

OxJaw likes this.
  18. jtlee321

Wow!! Is that a golden rainbow? That is pretty awesome... :)

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Almost forgot this one. $16 (free shipping)

image.jpeg

Paul M., Curtisimo, Skyman and 3 others like this.
  20. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I will probably order my gold coin online after the show (unless they have one I want at the show) and spend most of the show cherrypicking junk bins for profit. I plan to get a lot of good deals under $50 but I will have also sold them by the time I have access to this thread.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Very nice. I have a few of these. When I see one selling for melt, I really can't turn it down. Lol

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted