Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If someone gifted me a horse I would definitely look at it

SuperDave likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I posted this in the new acquisitions thread before I found this one. I think i did very well for 12 dollars... sniped it on ebay. 20170918_132725.jpg 20170918_132736.jpg

6. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg $4 for this along with the rest of the SMS.

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Do the people who post here most often buy these coins:

a) on eBay,
    b) online elsewhere,
    c) at local coin shops, or
    d) a combination of the above?

If "D", which place do you find most of these treasures? Thanks.

8. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

D is my answer, but 90 % is from local coin shop and pawn shops...the remainder would be split between A and B.

9. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

ace...what is the grade of that Columbian half dollar? (In your opinion) What is market value on that?

Just curious

10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

A) 100%... there are no local coin shops where I live.

11. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

I know the feeling...the closest B and M coin shop to me is an hour a way, but I make the drive once in a while...I have a local pawn shop who gets in really nice coins from time to time. He knows the market well and doesn't try to pawn coins off as being something they aren't thus his prices are more than reasonable...sometimes downright low.

12. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

D. Online and local coin shows.

13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

D - I've found a lot of nice coins on eBay, but I think if you compared the groups side by side the overall quality level of coins I've purchased at the local shop is higher purely because I can make a fully informed decision in hand before committing.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  14. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I'm having a lot of trouble grading the half dollar, so all opinions are welcome. I think its an EF coin. There is a lot of detail on the globes, and you can still see the lines on the sails. In my opinion, an 16-18 dollar coin.

15. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

I have a 92 in similar condition at home...I'll post a pic when I get home. I'd like your thoughts...I got it for $6.50.

16. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

I bought this right after I got into collecting a while ago. This was $20 dollars so it fits the criteria for this thread, but this was for me what they call "paying for your education" as I bought it as UNC. ed 1.png ed 2.png Oh well...

17. LA_Geezer

I just checked my records, my '42S wasn't bought as UNC and it doesn't look quite as nice as yours; mine was $19.84 and I'm happy.

bhh likes this.
  18. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

Well that helps my feelings some. WhAt grade is yours?

19. LA_Geezer

A little less than VF, I'd say; yours is ~ EF from those pics.

bhh likes this.
  20. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Well this was more an emotional buy as some of my coins are. My late father was a low cost (mostly under $50) coin collector and passed down his collections to me. He was born in 1933. I just bought this for $48 bucks. I think a reasonable price, but does not matter as thats not why I bought it :)

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Good price of you ask me. 33-S is one of the more fully struck dates of the series.

crazyd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted