Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

I think I just scored a great deal this morning! Can someone help me decide on the grade of this coin? I'm pretty sure it's a VF, but what level? VF-20? VF-30? VF-40? Even at VF-20 it's worth $90, at VF-30 it's worth $120, I got it for $41 :D

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm not an expert, but will that scratch on the obverse keep the coin from a straight grade?

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Cleaned as well the scratch will detail the coin. FYI this seller is also known for selling detailed coins . Yes true coins in the vf - xf range cheap but that have issues .

5. D-Train

What can I say, I'm a sucker for eye appeal. Since I've only been collecting for a couple of months I will probably fall for a lot of newbie mistakes. Still, I think my coin is worth what I paid for it, right? :cool:

6. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

If YOU like the coin keep it. Value and worth are very subjective due to market fluctuations. Unless you buy at CDN prices or find sellers who dont know what they have, buy for yourself, not for profit.

7. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Skyman likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What is a Y N

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Young Numismatist.........

12. Cheech9712

13. Cheech9712

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got a Red Book Cheech? #1 in classic commemoratives and one of my favorite commems. I love to buy 'em in circulated condition. :)

15. Paddy54

You got what you paid for....a cleaned problem coin. This isn't a lecture to make you feel bad but one to teach you about collecting coins.
    Now a page back I posted a half dime it would be xf and a $100 +/- coin if not damaged . I paid $20 for it knowingly it was damaged and a variety I wanted. That said eyes wide open understanding it was a detailed coin.
    You however purchased a damaged coin not knowing so....Reason you're not an experienced collector and pulled the trigger on what you believed to be a smart purchase when in fact it wasn't . The coin is cleaned and has damage. That said you better like it as you won't be getting your money back on it as is.
    All of us...everyone in here including myself have made bad choices , especially when we were young or not having the knowledge needed to make a sound purchase .
    If anyone says they haven't they lie.
    Buy the book before the coin....read and research before you buy. Ask the people in here who have been collecting for 20 ,30 50 years..... if you're happy that's all that matters....but if you're smart you'll always be happy with your purchases .

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

VAMmed a few Morgan's for a friend and he gave me this :wideyed:

20170511_201357.jpg 20170511_201408.jpg 20170511_201438.jpg 20170511_201444.jpg

17. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yup. Whitman letter-transfer toning. And one of the best I've ever seen :)

No idea what it's worth though but I'd assume decent money to the right guy.

19. Paddy54

Looks to be an rpm also very cool.

20. D-Train

Thanks for your sage advice Paddy. Like you said, I got what I paid for. I'm happy with it and that's all that really matters, right? Lately I bought a flurry of 2 cents, 3 cents, 1/2 cents, half dimes, shield nickles, that sorta thing. Trying to get a nice example of some of the more unknown coins. I also bought a 1909 Indian Head Half Eagle for $428. It's a really gorgeous coin. It's the one in my avatar.
    Stupid question time: what carat gold is it? How heavy? I've got a red book, blue book, etc. so I should probably look it up, huh? I'm waiting for the coin to arrive, it should be here in a few days. I also just bought a scale with an accuracy of .001 grams. I'll weigh the eagle when it arrives. Thanks again!

21. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

YES! Too many people seem to overlook this. A "problem" coin is only a problem if you want to sell it, if you love the coin then the rest doesn't matter. Buying coins you personally love is what it's all about.

The $5 indians are 90% gold and have just under a quarter ounce total gold can see more here: https://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/Coin-Melt-Values.aspx?MeltCategoryID=1

Nice looking coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted