Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

John C. De Wyell was a knife manufacturer in Livonia, Livingston Co., NY, Cascade. He was born in New York in 1837 and died in 1913. His wife's name was Hellen, but I found no record of them having Children.

Btw, a circular buttress is a specially shaped cutting device to trim horse's hooves so their shoes would seat properly. It looks like a middle ages torture device, but apparently did a good job on horses.<lol> Nice find, Cascade.

Bruce

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

$8.70. Images by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1964_rWA2o5.jpg
    bc1964_rWA2r5jpg.jpg

4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Great Thread Idea!!!

Love the variety of eye candy, some great toners. And looks like some great buys as well1

Just about everything in my collection, excluding my Morgans would fit in here.

Dave Waterstraat and jtlee321 like this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow. Thanks Bruce. That's more info than I could find. I found a schematic of his buttress but didn't know what it's purpose was. Time frame certainly fits. A counteratamp guy on another forum thinks it could have been the guys pocket piece like maybe he was a mason and used it for identification etc. and maybe if I could find an example of his buttress it may be stamped in the exact font and block to verify it was him. Looks like this is the guy all right but it's still only circumstantial I guess.

Screenshot_2017-02-22-08-32-35_opt.png

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I'm sure this is your guy, Cascade. The surname is unusual and the things we know about him seem to fit together. I couldn't find out much about what kind of knives he manufactured, but I plan on going back and look around some more.

The stamp was probably used to mark his products. As the other man said, the coin may have been a pocket piece, but I doubt it had any connection to Masonic membership.

Bruce

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Picked up two 64 proof sets last week. under 50 with tax. (Antique mall) IMG_3184.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3190.JPG
    both AH Kennedy's.

gronnh20, Nathan401, Blissskr and 6 others like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

My latest addition, a 1990 Prestige Set. Less than $25.00 SETOBV_opt.jpg SETREV_opt.jpg

Came with box...but no COA:(
    Anyone got an extra one for this set?

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

$38 for a 1921 set. There's a 21 Dime and a 21 S Walker in there. That should more than cover the price :)
    IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2502.JPG

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

12. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I wish there was a quarter. But alas there is not. Still a great set.

13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Nice pick up!! I'm on the hunt for an AH set to put in my collection. I sold the last set I picked up instead of keeping it. Now the hunt is back on.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Posted this in new acquisitions but it was under $50, cost me $20.
    67sms1cobv.jpg 67sms1crev.jpg

16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice!! My Walker Whitman came with a 21s (luckily) all I need is a 21p and of course, 21d.

17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I got all the below for pretty close to melt. A bit less than $20 combined I believe. Got to love low grade coins at estate sales :)
    IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    The bust detail of that 1964 Kennedy is sweet @Pickin and Grinin. Great pick :)

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Curtisimo likes this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Thay can be had for cheap. I got mine for $25, but the allure of flipping it for $150 for something I actually care about made me get rid of it. ;)

20. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Well, a recent post on page 25 of this thread rekindled my fascination with '40-S Mercury Dimes. Here are a few recent acquisitions that were each well below $50. :)
    1940S.1.obv.1k.JPG 1940S.1.rev.1k.JPG 1940S.3.obv.1k.JPG 1940S.3.rev.1k.JPG 1940S.5.obv.1k.JPG 1940S.5.rev.1k.JPG

21. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

$46 including shipping.
    $_3 (4).JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted