Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Most of my inventory are mint state coins, and what proofs I do have are toners, but if you are expecting retail prices, I just don’t think one month is long enough. Most of my registry quality coins take a year or longer to sell.

As for the general Jefferson market, it is alive and well. I sell more raw Jeffersons in the $5-$20 to album collectors than I do graded examples.

That said, I’m sure there are other series that sell like gangbusters compared to Jefferson Nickels. I’ve entered the Franklin Half market over the last year and they have a much higher demand.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have some Sacagawea dollars that are super slow to move. Washington quarters are pretty weak. Ike dollars as well. Just my observations.

capthank likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

@SSG_Gonzo posted a raw proof 1942-P Jefferson (silver).

@RonSanderson posted another.

You replied with
    Do you see the source of my confusion?

5. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

I bought the 44D for $45 and the 41 for $48.

With submission costs with TrueView I'm about $80 into each one. The 44D went 67FB so I'm way ahead there. The 41 went 67 so not great, about break-even. Was hoping it would go 67+ or sneak by with FBs (PCGS made the right call on no FBs, but I do think it is easily a plus coin - not worth resubmitting though).

1944D_40431093_Max.png 1941_40431094_Max.png

6. Dima

Dima Member

Pretty proud of this pick up at $31 --

25C.jpg

Beautifully toned PCGS MS62. I realize this is on the lower end of MS, but I couldn't pass up the obverse toning.

7. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

That is beautiful, reminds me of a sunset.

Dima likes this.
  8. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

For an upcoming GTG...found in a big lot of buffalo nickels. I think I paid about 30 cents a coin for it.

1921-S 5C Obv.jpg 1921-S 5C Rev.jpg

9. brokrken

brokrken Active Member

10. Lehigh96

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm going through this thread to get caught up... DANG!!!! What a sweet upgrade!

SorenCoins, Lehigh96 and mrweaseluv like this.
  13. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Oh i got the perfect auction win for this one this week! (sorry AirborneReams)
    (not that sorry but i'll say it anyway)
    1787 New Jersey coin, which i stole from AR for only 47.25 auction price :D
    even in this condition a easy 75-100... we'll see how she looks after conservation :D later this week :D
    1787nj.jpg 1787njr.jpg

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is the first coin I have bought in almost 2 years. It is a raw coin and it is beautiful. It's also one of my favorites... the 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent. This one displays absolutely stunning color on both sides as well as an underlying woody pattern. No @Paddy54 you cannot buy this one. ;) This one will remain in my personal collection for a very long time. I am planning to eventually submit it for grading.

I find toned Lincoln cents a pain in the butt for me to photograph. I can never seem to capture the color and luster that my eye sees. So I have included photo's that do a good job of showing how nice the surfaces of the coin are and a video of the color and gorgeous luster.

Now, the thing that I was shocked about, is the fact that I was able to buy it and have it fall into this thread. The dealer was asking $35.00 for it. I didn't try to haggle and paid his asking price without any hesitation.

1909-VDB-Lincoln-Cent.jpg

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I've been paying too much for coins lately to add to this thread. But here is a Die State rarity (V) I picked up for $31.01. It is a common stemless S-241 with die CUDS at both F A and TATE.

1802 S-241 Terminal Die State.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  16. Lehigh96

As an update, I sold this coin for $260 within 24 hours of listing it on eBay.

17. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

18. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

-jeffB, Skyman and Lehigh96 like this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I'm a 51 and feel kinda like this quarter looks.:happy:

Skyman likes this.
  20. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Yup.

I have to say, for the Type/date/mm this is one of my all time favorite price/performance picks. Technically it's quite clean too, even without toning I'd give it an MS66. Needless to say, it does have the toning, which for a '51-S, at least on the reverse, is pretty frigging amazing. I found it in a pawn shop about 5 years ago.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

61929 S FS#-05-401 2 feather C:WINDOWSTempA375 - 20201114_131843.jpg C:WINDOWSTempA376 - 20201114_131857.jpg C:WINDOWSTempA377 - 20201114_131927.jpg ADO 2F #26
    With an URS 08 The feather is totally effaced, this specimen is considered to be one of the scarcer of the true 2 feather varieties.
    Its also the 1929-s fs-05-1929 s rpm - 001

Thanks John

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted