Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

I was thinking jewelry too, but loved the date and s mint mark. Lots of details left.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, and tons of meat on it! Just a bit... tenderized?

TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  4. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

I like to call it character. Lol

TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I got a legit under $50 this time. $36.89 postage paid. It is my 6th example of this "very rare R5 variety." But this is the best one with the reverse thin bar used as the primary diagnostic. I've identified most by a die crack, right stem intersection with the ribbon and vine and unique berry positions because of copper spread on the reverse fraction. This one, though corroded, has better detail and definition.

S-195

S-195 (VI) Obverse.jpg S-195 (VI) Reverse.jpg

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I found this in an antique shop today with no price. When I asked how much it was, the shop owner said "uh, $12?". I could barely maintain my composure in saying Yes!!
    20190713_172559.jpg 20190713_172621.jpg 20190713_172606.jpg

8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

9. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I got to go to the FUN show on Friday. We happened to be in Orlando after a cruise. So I got lucky. I decided I was gonna look around for a Capped Bust Half, but they were all out of my price range or ugly. Stopped at a table with this really nice dealer from NY. Hes asking me what I'm looking for and what not. He gives me a whole lesson on pricing and buying the books before the coins. The bust he had was great but I didn't have enough money on me to buy it (this was an unplanned stop, I didn't even know it was there until i got off the cruise same day.

Then I asked him if he had any 2/3 cent pieces.

He had this one, in my perfect price range and desired grade.

It's in a flip that is sealed permanently I guess. The pictures are through the flip, but they convey the message.

45 dollars :) 20190714_104434.jpg 20190714_104455.jpg

10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Great looking coin, well done. Wire cutters should take care of that easily if you want to free it. :)

Skyman likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice looking coin.I like the color.

12. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Popped out of work to the bakery this morning for a pretzel and passed a junk silver place...

$7.08
    034DFD69-71C6-433A-9940-BE3FC170C2A0.jpeg

mikenoodle, Skyman, -jeffB and 6 others like this.
  13. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

19 bux… Cameo on it looks nice, even though there's no designation. I wanted a 1963. From the narrowed search I put in, this was the best looking, though I know photo's can fool. I want to eventually get every proof Franklin. I am not concerned with the number grade, it's the cameo look I am after. Designated or not. I think I did ok.

BF3.jpg BF4.jpg BF1.jpg BF2.jpg

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Nice coin, but where is the cameo?

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I was wondering if there was a different requirement for a cameo for that era.

I know cameo was an accident then as opposed to the intentional cameo produced on newer mint issues with it's frosted details on mirrored fields.

I would not consider mirror on mirror a cameo, but I sometimes have different standards than those used by TPGs.

16. Silverhouse

LOL, I guess my silly definition of Cameo is different eh? Educate me then on what IS cameo? Is cameo, cameo only when the TPG says it is?

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I suspect what you call "Cameo," everyone else calls "Mirrors." From PCGS Coinfacts. Non cameo vs cameo:
    20190717_150142.jpg
    20190717_150647.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

19. Silverhouse

I do see the difference. But you know, those cameo's that truly bust out are pricey. :) I buy what I can afford, and buy the coin. Thanks for your help.

C-B-D likes this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It is a very nice coin and a very fair price.

21. Silverhouse

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford at least one fantastic cameo Franklin. Just 1. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted