Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Got this at one of my local coin shops a few years ago for $35. Not the prettiest, but I still enjoy it. :)

HC1803P-02.001obv.JPG HC1803P-02.001rev.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Lovely 2 cent piece, Civil War date, bought from European source - no problem with purchase and looks even better in person than in pic.
    1864 2c piece composition - raw.jpg

4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I sold one that was a beat-up POS for more than that to a dealer. Very nice!

cwart likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

2019 ASE for my album set. 20 bucks and change.

7B8207B4-C929-48B9-954D-0935EAE0B1C5.jpeg 31BAFEA4-535D-402E-AB28-2462E5B081C1.jpeg

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I know they're not the most exciting coins in the world...and I think my images could be vastly improved - I'm not capturing them well tonight - but for the price I paid, I'm not complaining. I just wanted to share these highlights before I chill out for the evening.

1970 Mint Set ($9): even the 1970 D Kennedy is much nicer than normal and the 1970 D Roosevelt is gorgeous (didn't image either of these yet.)

1973 Mint Set ($9): bought it for the P Roosevelt. Didn't get around to imaging it, but it's beautiful.

1977 Mint Set ($7): included two FS Jeffersons (didn't image those either...honestly, I saw my other images and just thought, "I'll get them tomorrow.")

1970 S "Small Date" Lincoln Memorial Cent

1970 S Small Date Lincoln Cent.jpg

1970 D Washington Quarter
    I mean...besides the mark at the base of George's bust, anyone else see any hits on this coin, even under the strong light? (realizing that it's a bit washed out in places...but the coin just drips luster in hand.

1970 D Washington Quarter.jpg

1973 D Kennedy Half
    Note: This coin is just drool-worthy gorgeous in hand...it's only when I put way too much light on it that all the little flaws get exaggerated. In hand, it's the nicest 1973 D Kennedy I've ever seen - looks easily MS65-66.

1973 D Kennedy Half.jpg

8. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I'm a sucker for this look of earlier Lincolns, especially for $16.50. The seller over-exposed the photos, so the coin looked unreasonably red while also being out of focus. I think that scared off other bidders.

Vendor photo
    01c 1909 #04 reverse 01.jpg

A new photo
    01c 1909 #04 full 01.gif

I might revisit my photos, too, since they are likely too dark. The toning and luster on the reverse give the impression of great depth into the metal.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

10. RonSanderson

Just arrived. Did you ever feel slightly bad about getting a great deal? I'm afraid I might have left @C-B-D underwater on this great buy from his eBay auction. If so, I hope we do more business as time goes on so I can make it up to him. (No, not so I can rob him further!)
    01c 1903 #03 full 01v.gif

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I love that coin. Glad it went to a great home. I have 2 that look exactly the same. Same date, even. Got em from my LCS.

12. RonSanderson

Me too. I also have a spare 1903 with great color, also a candidate for this thread. One good thing about not being a set collector is not feeling bad about having two of the same thing.
    01c 1903 #02 full 01.JPG

13. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

i got it for ten cents, it had the same value of a quarter in arcades
    upload_2019-1-24_18-32-5.jpeg

mikenoodle, Hoky77, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Pretty coin, nice strike.

RonSanderson likes this.
  15. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  16. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Basically a throw in, as I bought the 1955 Mint Set for the Franklins and Washingtons. Technically, if I divide the cost of the set by the face value of the coins, and then break that down by coin face value: $8.39.

bc1955_rRO2o4.jpg
    bc1955_rRO2r4.jpg

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I know y'all might not believe this, but I snapped up this buy-it-now for $30 on eBay. The seller wasn't a coin person, but had a few different coins for sale. 1913-S type 2 with luster and hints of color! @Dougmeister
    DSCN0724-side.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  18. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Cherry pick of the year? (I know, it's only January... you have plenty of time to try to outdo this one!)

C-B-D likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

How about lucky break of the month? ;)

20. RonSanderson

Holy cow! I thought it was great even before I saw the mint mark.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. Stanley Bass

Stanley Bass Member

Draft saved Draft deleted