Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

It sounds worse than it was. Keep in mind it was kind of a rushed deal sitting in a parked car on the side of the street. The guy had prices set ahead of time for everything. Either I said ok or no thanks and we moved on to the next item. The amount of time and thinking I put into seeing that coin in the 09S hole was minimal at the time as I was focused on so many other things. It comes down to the fact that I'm not obligated to determine everything the seller has before buying it. I can skim through and take a chance without careful examination.

If I was a dealer and he came into me and asked how much I'd give him then that would be a different story. I'm also taking a chance on the coin being fake or details as I'm not an expert numismatist. So even offering him an extra $50 for it would be taking a risk imo.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

You didn’t take any chances and intentionally skipped over looking at the back of the coin.

It truly comes down to ethics and where you draw your lines. I clearly draw mine very differently than you. Clearly we do not agree, which is why you are willing to rip off old people and I am not. Don't worry, there are a few senior members here who would’ve done the exact same thing in your position. Moral bankruptcy is not a lonely road.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

8. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

C-B-D likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

10. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

11. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Never paid any attention to this coin till I saw yours, now I found it's twin sister. Just need to find the money. Lol thanks Nathan.

Nathan401 likes this.
  12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cool!! The subject matter is cool, and I guess quite a few of these circulated. I think For the eye appeal, I got an amazing good price.

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  13. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Good God, lay off. You are making a hefty assumption about another person on a forum you have never met. Not only was it not good enough for you to put another member of this forum down (and others by saying they'd do the same), but you put yourself on a moral pedestal by saying he is fine with ripping people off while you will never do that.

Perhaps you are an ethical person; I wouldn't know one way or the other. But building a shaky accusation to throw another member off of and then grandstanding on said-accusation goes beyond ethics and into just plain douchbaggery.

rooman9 likes this.
  14. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Here's the one in looking at. 20181010_233837.jpg 20181010_233925.jpg

Nathan401 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

<
    You have a point about leaving myself out of it. I should’ve done that. But you don’t have me at calling it a shaky accusation. I asked for clarification before coming to the conclusion, and he admitted to purposely not looking at that coin to avoid drawing attention to it, and also that the old man had trouble seeing and couldn’t see it himself. He clearly ripped off an old man and then came here to brag about it. After being called out, he then sat here trying to justify himself over and over. I choose not to sit idly and watch people applaud this unethical behavior.

1916D10C likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That also makes a difference

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I bought this a couple months ago. After some misadventures through USPS, it finally arrived last week.

8855F786-D562-470C-BC7C-5C11330658F4.jpeg 283BCC03-01DD-4DCC-800F-A9EF6A7FC345.jpeg

18. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Listed as XF buy it now free shipping $17 about 5 months ago. I had a possible upgrade for my 86 type 2 and saw my price notation and figured it was a good fit in this string. IMG_5209.JPG IMG_5208.JPG

19. Seattlite86

I'd buy that at $17 all day long. Great purchase!

Hoky77 likes this.
  20. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I don't think the auction was up 10 minutes and I didn't didn't check the grey sheet first.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

My recent under $50, actually much less, is this Byzantine follis (bronze) from Byzantine Trebizond from the joint reign of Alexius I (d.1118 ad) and Michael I (1204-1213 ad) and is very rare.

The obverse has an image of Christ, the reverse has an image of St. Demitrius, Alexius' patron saint. I found no auction records of a sale.

It was issued during the period when the Byzantine empire disappeared from 1204-1261 due to the 1st Crusade in which French knights and knights from all over Europe (ie.mercenaries) took over the empire and set up separate fiefdoms.

These Christian knights had no problem making war on the Orthodox emperors as they viewed anyone that was not under the Roman popes were heretics. The original intent of the First Crusade was to liberate the Holy Land from Islamic persecution. I guess all's fair in war. Don't worry, subsequent Crusades would remedy that oversight.

Alexius went to Tribizond and became the "emperor" of that region of the former empire. The Byzantine Empire was restored in 1261 under Michael VII and lasted till 1453 a mere 39 years before Chris Columbus "discovered" America for the benefit of Queen Isabella. Folks, she owned the entire area of North and South America as her personal property. Ferdinand "got" nada.

I hope you enjoyed this missive.

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted