Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That little beauty is going to NGC when I can find some time to prep a group. Gorgeous color for a clad coin.

@BigTee44 (couldn't add the quote for some reason)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here's another Morgan I picked up today, again from my favorite local dealer. I paid $45.00.

I wish the milky colored haze wasn't on it, it's only visible with indirect light in hand. The mirrors are very nice and would garner a PL designation.

1882-S-Morgan-Dollar-Proof-Like.jpg

4. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

$25 for a bunch of beat up culls, a 57 FE, AND a 09S IHC.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

25 bucks for a 1909 s Indian head WHAT???????? good for you man. But where did you get these from for that price.

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Nice catch!
    '82-S in PL is not nearly as common as years prior ('80 & '81) and darn near scarce in dimple.
    Maybe a quick dip to liven it up?:rolleyes:

jtlee321 likes this.
  7. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I'm just hoping it's authentic, I still need to take it to a pro to get evaluated. I got it from an old guy I met online who was looking to sell his collection. I assume his vision was too poor to read the S mint mark so he thought it was a plain 09. I didn't even realize what I had bought untill I got it home.

Noah Finney likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Color me skeptical. First thing any of us do is look for an S on an 08 or 09. Sounds like you ripped him off, but of course I wasn’t there.

9. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I was in a car looking at albums and loose coins. I saw it in the 09S hole but there were tons of other coins in the wrong holes so I didn't take time to flip the page and examine the reverse as I wasn't expecting to find a key date. He misrepresented some of his other stuff he sold me and since I didn't find out about the 09S until I got home I just wrote it off as a done deal. Not like I'm going to call him back and give him more money.

Sunflower_Coins and Noah Finney like this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A little negotiation on a ‘best offer,’ minus some eBay bucks put this way under $50. I’ve already busted it out of its slab for my 7070 31B8DED6-1C9D-419D-8497-C0E3FBDF50B5.jpeg 1C719E03-EEC0-440B-8DD5-4EFF39D893E6.jpeg

11. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Love the look of that. Great score.

Nathan401 likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Kinda hard to rip a seller off when you have no idea that an expensive coin is there.

My coin shop bought a whole bunch of barber quarters for a bulk price. As they were going through them after the fact, it turns out one was a 1901 S. Did the buyer get ripped off because no one knew he had a $3000 coin at the time of the sale? I’d say not.

Omegaraptor and Sunflower_Coins like this.
  13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That coin has some really funky and ugly toning to begin with. It had that dirty look to it on the surfaces. While I was looking at it in shop, I could see how well the surfaces underneath it really lit up when I tilted it towards the light. That and the fact that it is a really mark free coin are the reasons I bought it.

When I got it home I gave it a dip to get rid of the funk and then rinsed it well in hot soapy water and rinsed under hot running water. I then let it soak for about 10 minutes in MS70 to see if the haze would lift off of it. I don't want to dip it again. So I will live with it the way it is. In hand it's a real headlight and the haze only shows up when I tilt the coin just right.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I haven't added to my registry set in years, but I finally filled one of the last 4 spots for $14.

[​IMG]

15. Seattlite86

I’ve bought coins in bulk too; these things happen. Scenario: you’re buying a bunch of coins. There’s an IHC book with a 1909 IHC in the 09-S spot. Tell me you’re not going to take a second to look at the back.

Dougmeister likes this.
  16. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

But when you know you are already buying the album at a low price, and you know that examining the reverse of that ONE coin will only draw attention to the matter...it's much easier to just close up the album, throw it in the buy pile, and ask what else do you have to sell me.

17. Seattlite86

Oh, you mean if you took the effort to determine if it's a key date, you'd be obligated to pay him more, or he'd want more for his coin if he knew it was worth in the hundreds, so it's better to just not look and pretend it was coincidence later when it turns out to have an S and claim your conscience is clear? Thanks for clarifying that you knowingly ripped off an old man who had trouble seeing. I'm truly disappointed and ashamed that you would do such a thing. @TypeCoin971793 no defending this one, he clearly avoided looking at the reverse to avoid having to pay a more fair price.

What would I have done? I'd have pointed that coin out to him and said it's worth up to so much, but I can only pay up to so much and let him decide.

[​IMG]

1916D10C likes this.
  18. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I’m all for capitalism, but I kinda agree with Seattlite here........

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I think it depends on how many a whole bunch is. If its like 1,000 then yea you cant expect a dealer to go through each and every coin. This exact same scenario happened at 1 of my LCS. Old women comes in with maybe half a roll of barber quarters, the guy at the counter says we will pay you $4 each for those and counts them out. Promptly pays her, & i swear as soon as she stepped foot in the parking lot the owner dives in for a closer look. Next thing you know, there was a hoot and a holler and a high five. " There is an '01 S in here !!!! Woo hoo !!!!!! " The women had just got into her car i could see her, pulling away as they were examining it. I thought to myself, damn man, it took you all of 27 seconds to find that coin. It looked like the old women maybe couldve used an extra couple hundred bucks too . Oh well:(

20. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Not in best condition, but nice....
    8 Bucks.
    IMG_20181010_123444.jpg IMG_20181010_123409.jpg

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That one sentence changes everything...

I was not there, so I can’t say. All I know is that the guy who bought it (he was hired more to help out since he originally did not have any previous numismatic knowledge) did not know it was a key date until one of the other guys pointed it out. It was a case of mutual ignorance.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted