Post your under $50.00 purchase...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 4, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Just picked these up at a coin show today. Total of $50 for everything you see below:

1876 Liberty Bell Token.jpg 1893 Columbian Half PCGS MS62.jpg 1959 Black Beauty Jefferson Nickel.jpg 1976 D Washington Quarter.jpg 1963 Proof Roosevelt Dime.jpg 1964 Kennedy Half.jpg St Louis Bicentennial Medal (Bronze).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

alk1129 likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

In an old PCGS OGH as an MS62. I think it deserves better, honestly. But then I've been wrong before. In either case, the price was right :)

1916D10C and CircCam like this.
  5. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

$37 including shipping, in an ICG holder. I had to pay for grading and TrueView, so that brings it to closer to $80 all in, but still a great deal for a coin this pretty.

1.png

6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

19793CE3-2D6E-4000-A7EB-5186F0467E36.jpeg 6A28B1A8-45BD-4C45-9A0E-4B3541DB0868.jpeg

You’ve probably seen this one before. 11 die cracks!

1863 Shattered Reverse Poliquin-27c $8

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

stldanceartist likes this.
  8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Great deal! I just snagged one of these for $29 and considered it a nice win. Yours looks a point or two better than mine.

Nathan401 and CircCam like this.
  11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice pick! I was routinely grabbing BU silver Roosevelt’s off EBay for $2 or so. Great eye appeal on yours!

alk1129, jtlee321 and CircCam like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I spent less than $6 on this, shipping included (seller's photos). I thought it could make a nice little stocking stuffer for an in-law. It does have a little verdigris @BadThad I don't think I was able to bring your formula overseas. Any recommendations on how to remove/stop this with household items? I do have 100% acetone.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I see some die breaks, 1 o clock on the obverse, 9 and 12 o clock on the reverse. In before all the variety nerds start geeking out and drooling. :hilarious:

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

You need to learn the difference between variety and die state.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The diagnostics for a die variety can be (and often are) the artifacts of a die state. Only one pair of dies has the same set of die cracks.

1916D10C likes this.
  16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Let me explain the difference. See that 1863 IHC I posted on this page? The variety is nothing special. There are no misplaced dates, repunched dates, doubled dies, or anything interesting that lasted throughout the entire lifespan of the die. What’s interesting is the die state: only the last few coins struck from that die actually looked like that.

A variety is the way the die was originally made. Sometimes, a die was made with an imperfection such as a doubled die, a repunched date, or a misplaced date. These features usually lasted throughout the entire lifespan of the die, but they do not have to in order to be considered a variety.

Die states develop throughout the lifespan of the die: the first few coins are early die state, then middle state, then late state, and finally terminal state if the coin develops severe cracks or cuds like my 1863. Throughout the progression of the die, defects can start to show up.

jtlee321 and 1916D10C like this.
  17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

10¢
    1943 Steel Cent.png

....nicest one in a roll I paid 5 bucks for.

18. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Those are so nice. Not a rare coin, but just.... cool. I’ve always had a thing for steel cents.

Seattlite86 and CircCam like this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Okay. Then tell me that the 1820 N-13 is not a variety

1916D10C likes this.
  20. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Not all variety systems are the same. Many modern systems use die state/stage as an independent classification unlike EAC. I'm just figuring that out with VAMs.

Draft saved Draft deleted