Post your type set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silverhouse, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

That is a very well put together, beautiful set. You have some great toned coins in there as well. Today I am out to hit my LCS's to add to my "12" type set.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

I picked this beauty up at the Baltimore-Whitman coin show today. Kind of a tough date. I do wonder if it's an 1812/1 There seems to be some indication by the number 2, but I am not quite sure. Great coin nonetheless

DSCN1197.JPG DSCN1192.JPG DSCN1194.JPG DSCN1195.JPG

Skyman likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

20th Cen type set.jpg My 20th Century 20th century coins.jpg

NSP, Travlntiques, mark_h and 4 others like this.
  5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My 1876 HOLED TYPE SET 1876 Holed set.jpg

6. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Silverhouse, nice 1812 half. Sorry, though, it isn't the 12/11. It is the Overton 110 die marriage.

7. Silverhouse

What exactly is that? I am not familiar with varieties for this type of coin and year. :)

8. Silverhouse

Another addition to the "12" type set. :) VF Lincoln 1912 S DSCN1206.JPG DSCN1207.JPG

NSP, mark_h, Skyman and 1 other person like this.
  9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The dies for bust halves (and other early date coins) were all individually prepared by hand and therefore have certain distinguishing characteristics. Bust halves are attributed by the die pairings (marriages) of obverse to reverse dies based on a book entitled "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836", by Al Overton.

For example, in the year 1812 there were 8 different obverse dies used in different combinations with 9 separate reverse dies for a total of 10 known marriages.

Some diagnostics for your 1812 O-110:

Obverse: Star 1 points to center of dentil. There is a very faint bar in the field just below where the drapery is closest to the dentils. “81” is closer than “18” and “12”, and the second “1” slants more to the left.

Reverse: Bases of “M” and “E” are close, and “E” is higher. The second crossbar from the top, and third crossbar from the bottom, extend too far right. A tiny centering dot shows between crossbars 4 & 5. “I” in motto is centered below the second “T” in STATES.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Silverhouse likes this.
  10. Silverhouse

Another addition to the "12".

2012dime.jpg 2012DimeR.jpg 2012DimeR.jpg

mark_h, Skyman and dwhiz like this.
  11. Silverhouse

Here are some more additions to the "12" type set. Picked up the key date 1912 S Liberty Nickel as well.

DSCN1250.JPG DSCN1251.JPG DSCN1252.JPG DSCN1253.JPG DSCN1254.JPG DSCN1256.JPG DSCN1257.JPG DSCN1258.JPG

Skyman, mark_h and dwhiz like this.
  12. Silverhouse

I sent the 1812 CBH, 1912 S Liberty Nickel and 1912 2 1/2 Gold Indian to NGC to grade. I am hoping for an XF 40 on the CBH, F-15 on the 12 S Liberty Nickel, and AU55 on the 2 1/2.

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Love the rays. Gotta add this to my collection.

14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Would love to put together a complete 20th century MS type set from cent to $20 gold.

Silverhouse likes this.
  15. Traz

Traz Card counter

I can't really link my whole complete type set, but if you check my signature it links directly to it. Currently 19th after buying the Stella.

Going to start replacing examples with some better ones.

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As some of you may know, I'm working on a type set where every single coin in the set is Prooflike. You can see my progress here:

[​IMG]

Kirkuleez, kSigSteve and Silverhouse like this.
  17. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Man that is a sick set! Great idea! Thats going to be awesome when complete

18. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Here is my type set in progress. I got the dansco for $5 at a LCS as it's missing the last two pages. I felt it was perfect for me and it has been fun slowly adding to. I have also learned a great deal about each of the series so far. Being a collector for only short of 2 years, I am not sure yet which is my favorite.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Skyman, Travlntiques, mark_h and 2 others like this.
  19. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

dwhiz likes this.
  20. Silverhouse

Here are some grades I got back from the "12" type set.

Attached Files:

21. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Wow Jesh, that is absolutely astounding.

Draft saved Draft deleted