Post your type set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silverhouse, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I know many of us are working on building a type set. I searched CT and could not find a thread dedicated to just type sets. If you are building one or have one completed, post it here. :)

I think type sets are a good way to focus on one area of numismatics and collecting. I know for some it can be a mind boggle of "what to collect first?" I had this problem for a long time and ended up with a wide variety of coinage. After doing a lot of research, and worst of all having to sell most of my coin collection last summer, I wanted to start again, but this time have a real focus. At least for me, it helps me from going hog wild when buying a coin.

I have decided to start a "12" Type set. 1812,1912, 2012. Every denomination for these years in the most affordable pricing. As they say, collect what you can afford, or save, save, save. Which is what I did. I had a budget and I stuck to it, and after purchasing these three "12's" I still have some coin money left over which is going right back into my savings coin fund.

I hope you enjoy and happy collecting!

The first in my set is this 1912 NGC AU 55 Barber quarter, followed by an as of now, ungraded 1912 2.50 gold Indian, and lastly the 1912 S 10.00 Gold Indian, graded AU 53 by PCGS 1912a.jpg 1912b.jpg DSCN1088.JPG DSCN1089.JPG 1912Sa.jpg 1912Sb.jpg

Travlntiques, jj00, matty 440 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice type set Silver. ;)

matty 440 likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm in the process of replacing a sold 'Type Set' ( among other collections unfortunately)...and I just purchased some colonials and early cents...and even a slabbed Trade Dollar. Naturally, I have a few examples of Silver Dollars, but the only gold I have been able to purchase thus far is 'Napoleon'...and US type examples, such as your terrific examples, may take me a while longer...

if my computer cooperates, I'll post a few 'file photos' I have of my recent purchases---others I can't properly photograph with the devices i have...

I'm trying to get one decent (i.e. Fine+) example of each as i can...or at least VG examples with eye appeal...obviously, some i will never be able to afford in any grade, and i may leave that 'hole' blank or fill it with a decent and collectible replica..

Best of luck in your goal...You seem to be doing very well so far!!

Attached Files:

jj00, matty 440, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  5. Silverhouse

Those are some great coins. Love it!

6. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

I am working on the standard 12 piece gold type set. I have started a thread about the set.
    Starting a gold type set.
    Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JBOCON, Feb 28, 2014.

I have the 80th ranked PCGS type set, I still have 3 coins to go before I finish the set. Here is what I have so far.
    image.jpg

7. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

While I am going through PCGS I would be curious who has started through a TPG and who has a type set without registering with a TPG.

8. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

Buy the way OP I like the 12s idea. I noticed one of the coins in my type set will work in yours
    image.jpg

Skyman, jj00, matty 440 and 2 others like this.
  9. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

10. WingedLiberty

11. WingedLiberty

12. Silverhouse

Those are some beautiful Lincolns. Great sets everyone. The 1912 5.00 Gold Indian is on the list as well. It will be a toss-up between that or a Barber quarter or half proof for that year.

13. Mikey Zee

Beautiful coins guys!!! And 'WingedLiberty' I love the toned high-grade format you put together..i was thinking of doing something similar...It has fantastic eye appeal and I can't imagine anyone , coin collector or those with little interest, not being able to appreciate the variety and the beauty of those coins.

14. Silverhouse

DSCN1138.JPG DSCN1137.JPG

I'm sure that 5.00 gold Indian is a bit pricey in MS 62. I usually go for AU examples. Nice coin nonetheless. :) Also here are a few more pics I took of the 2 1/2. These came out much better than the ones above. What do you think it would grade if I submitted it?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Skyman likes this.
  15. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

Very hard coin to grade. Most people never guess right with the incuse design. Here are some bad cell phone pictures of mine.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Skyman, Silverhouse and Mikey Zee like this.
  16. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Halves are fun. (and have a few extra types that aren't mentions in the albums).

Flowing hair
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Draped Bust Small Eagle

Yeah, right!!! LOL

Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Capped Bust--Lettered Edge
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Capped Bust--Reeded Edge
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seated Liberty Arrows and Rays
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seated Liberty Arrows at Date
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seated Liberty No Motto
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Kirkuleez and Skyman like this.
  17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Seated Liberty Motto
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Barber
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Walking Liberty Obverse MM
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Walking Liberty Reverse MM
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Franklin
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Kennedy Silver
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Kennedy 40%
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Kennedy Bicentennial
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Kennedy Clad
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Mikey Zee

Terrific post....and great halves---I agree the larger size coins are fun and that seems to be a consensus in modern coins as well as ancients...the details are simply much easier for everyone to appreciate...whether it be halves, dollars or sestertius ...

And those early halves are just beautiful!!

okbustchaser likes this.
  19. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

2013 that's already toning??

20. Silverhouse

I've had a cent proof from 2013 that had started to tone. Also the silver quarters from the proof set had started to tone already also.

21. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Silverhouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted