Post Your Type Collections

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Blaubart, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

If you have one, I'd like to see it!

(I'm thinking of assembling a comprehensive US type collection and want to see what I'm getting myself into)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

4. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Still have a lot of gaps to fill! :D

Type Pic.jpg

5. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

Cool picture. I need to figure out how to put one of those together. :)

6. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

here is my thread on the dansco type set

http://www.cointalk.com/t202751/

This is my main project, but I have plans to expand with ikes. You couldn't go wrong with this set in my opinion

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I really have to get working on figuring Photoshop , some nice coins people .

8. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Unfortunately, I don't think the 7070 album is going to cut it for me. For example, I will likely want to collect and possibly display all of the various state and territory quarters, the new commemorative nickels and pennies, etc. So far, I'm at a loss as to how to store/display them. Building a custom case for each of the types of coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, halves, dollars, etc) would probably not be the best option as I wouldn't be able to see both sides without removing them.

I suppose I could collect graded coins and keep them in a graded coin holder and have a "virtual" display like the ones that gbroke and cherd posted, but I just don't know...

What other options are there?

9. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I have an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of the coins that I need with greysheet prices, and also include a picture of each coin that I buy. The image shown above was created by copying and pasting all of the pictures into a Word document, arranging them as shown, grouping them, and then saving the file as a filtered webpage. When you save as a webpage there is a folder created for the picture files. Open it up, and there's a jpeg of your grouped image.:thumb:

10. thecointrader

thecointrader Lurking Since 2006

My Type Set consists of numerous 'sub-sets'...

Each of these 'sets-within-a-set' contain coins with 'something special' about them... Unusual toning... An unusual story about how I came to acquire the coin... Coins obtained in circulation... Coins with minor errors such as rotated dies... And even coins of... ahem... 'questionable authenticity'...

But my favorite 'set within a set' is my Type Set of coins pedigreed to the famous Louis Eliasberg, the only collector to assemble a 'complete' collection of US Coins by date and mint.

[​IMG]
    1854-O Half Dime PCGS AU55 CAC Gold

Set Description
    ELIASBERG REUNITED COLLECTION

The only collection of United States coins ever formed which was complete by denomination, date and mint was that of the late Louis Eliasberg, Sr.

Building on the already immense collection assembled decades earlier by John M. Clapp, which included many coins obtained directly from the various mints in the year of issue, Eliasberg purchased the Clapp Collection in its entirety and worked with several dealers to fill in the remaining gaps. His quest began in 1925, and it wasn't until a quarter century later that Mr. Eliasberg secured the final coin needed, the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime.

This collection features none of his great rarities, yet it shows how a working person on a budget can still build an historic bond by reuniting coins originally held in the family of collections assembled by America's Greatest Numismatist.

Set Goals
    ELIASBERG PEDIGREED UNITED STATES TYPE SET

USA Minor Coins Type Set consisting of coins pedigreed to the family of collections by the great Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., the only collector to build a complete collection of US Coins by date and mint. Collection will include one of each major copper, nickel and silver coin type from 1800 through the time Louis Eliasberg completed his great collection in the 1950s, with every coin attributed to the Eliasberg pedigree.

As an added bonus, this collection also features United States Commemorative Half Dollars and a selection of US Gold coins as examples of design and mint, each pedigreed to the Louis Eliasberg, Sr. collection. The collection also contains a US/Philippines proof coin as an example of type from that series.

For modern issues minted after Mr. Eliasberg completed his collection in the 1950s, and older issues for which I have yet to acquire an Eliasberg, Sr. pedigree, I have chosen to include coins pedigreed to his son, Louis Eliasberg, Jr., to further expand the theme of this "Eliasberg Reunited Collection".

In addition to Eliasberg pedigreed coins, this set also contains regular and Library Edition auction catalogs (signed by Dave Bowers and others involved with the sale), two tickets to an actual Eliasberg auction, magazine and newspaper articles from Life, Look, Coronet and hobby publications showing Eliasberg with his coins on display, the Q. David Bowers biography "Eliasberg: King of Coins", and personal receipts, signed letters and miscellany belonging to Louis Eliasberg, Jr. and related to the auctioning of his father's collection in the 1990s.

This link to my Coin Talk album showcases just some of the coins in this collection. The entire collection consists of over 100 coins pedigreed to the Eliasberg family of collections.

Link: http://www.cointalk.com/members/thecointrader/albums/coins-louis-eliasberg/

-The Coin Trader

Attached Files:

11. stonegold1

stonegold1 New Member

I have the US type collection i like the US coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted