Post Your Small Size Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coinman1234, Dec 20, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I have large collection of small size banknotes, none are very rare, but I find them interesting. All of them have been pulled out of circulation over the past year. I give thanks to the wonderful bank tellers who have saved these for me at the bank, without them I would never have found a single one. It seems that small size notes have been looked down upon by many paper money collectors. I find it fun to try to make sets of them from circulation, creating an interesting challenge of finding them in circulation. Anyways, Feel free to post your favorite small size notes.

I will start off with a 1928a $50 FRN, in which it says "redeemable in gold" in fine print. Cool that this note can be confirmed to have been printed before 1933, when Executive Order 6102 was passed by Franklin D. Roosevelt, "Forbidding the Hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

6. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I never knew USA made a thousand dollar bill, very cool.
    BTM

7. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

There are higher denomination notes also. Both in 1928 and 1934 we had $5,000 and $10,000 notes.

Portland64.jpg

8. BunkerTrapMan

I really like that. It is close to home for me.
    why is the ink brown?
    BTM

coinman1234 likes this.
  9. coinman1234

Cool, I think that my mother lived there for some time when she was a kid. She moved a lot, living in quite a few different towns in Maine.

10. SteveInTampa

@BunkerTrapMan the BEP used brown ink for the seals and serial numbers for small-sized Nationals and WWII Emergency notes.

[​IMG]

11. BunkerTrapMan

Ok I am seeing way to many varities. I must say they are really nice and I am afraid to ask what they might cost. How can I learn about all these different bills?
    BTM

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. coinman1234

My coin shop had a couple in Fine condition for $9 each. I regret not buying one as a curiosity.

13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

BTM, if you do not have one may I suggest you purchase a Friedberg paper money catalog. And there are other paper money books but the Friedberg numbering system is used almost universally.
    Here's a link to the publisher; you may find it online at eBay or Amazon also.
    http://www.coin-currency.com/page8.html

BunkerTrapMan likes this.
  14. TradingGreen

Great suggestion. And the front cover shows a $10,000 note as well !!

15. BunkerTrapMan

Thank you. I will look into this.
    BTM

16. TradingGreen

17. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I have a binder with Small Size Notes but for the most part they are circulation finds that I keep for various and assorted reasons. Star Notes, Radar Notes, Low or High Serial Numbers, Fancy or Binary numbers or just plain Oldies I get in change.. A few Silver Certificates and a Hawaii Note but nothing really collectible/valuable just stuff I like :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. BunkerTrapMan

Thanks
    I went to B&N in town and found a book on Small Size U.S. Paper Money 1928 to Date. Interesting, who knew!

BTM

19. BunkerTrapMan

I just thought I would add to my above comments on the book I have been reading.
    I never knew there was so much information about paper bills. My gosh after reading, comparing, looking up and digesting this information for the first time in my life I am leaning into the zone of the nerd! Pretty cool those nerds!
    Just like the last $1 Bill SkippyTopaz posted above the leading L99971xxx came from a sheet of uncut bills :happy:
    BTM

20. TradingGreen

After you become an expert in that book you can move on many other forms of US currency. Colonial, Confederate, Obsolete bank notes, National bank notes and scrip, which are private business advertising trade notes. Its a whole new world!!

21. SteveInTampa

First year of the small-sized $20 Federal Reserve Notes.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted