Post your Slab Errors

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

While not a slabber's error, Heritage is having a bad week.

LOT #23010 |
    Jump to another lot:
    Current Bid: $80
    1798 1C First Hair Style -- Repaired -- ANACS. VF Details, Net VG10. NGC Census: (7/157). PCGS Population: (11/184). Minta...
    Click the image to load the highest resolution version.

lf-4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

A nice enough coin, especially for a Small Motto. However, in this case the coin is actually a Large Motto.

[​IMG]

4. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

This is literally a "slab" error and it scared the heck out of me. I purchased the shown 1965 SMS Kennedy in MS68, a truly rare coin, on eBay. When I received the coin, I looked at the reverse and saw that the hologram had problems. That's there for security so I was afraid that the Seller had somehow opened the slab and switched coins.

I contacted NGC and they asked me to send them a picture of the reverse. I sent it and they felt, without seeing the actual coin, that it was an error in slabbing , not a tampered slab. They said if I wanted to be 100% sure I could send them back the coin to be recertified.

I contacted thee Seller and he verified that he had the coin certified and it came back from NGC with the hologram problem and that he did not tamper with the slab, he said if I was uncomfortable with the coin he would take it back.. He had thousands of sales on eBay and 100% positive so I dropped the subject and kept thee coin. It was one of my late night weekday buys, so I got a good price on it. I'm not a professional grader, but it looks like a MS68 to me.

1965  SMS MS68 Kennedy Half.jpg 1965  SMS MS68 Kennedy Half rev.jpg

5. TheMont

I just received an email from the Seller of this coin. He said that a dealer had placed a label over the hologram and when he removed the label off of the slab it pulled part of the hologram with it. He said that he was sending a group of coins out to NGC and if I mailed the coin back to him, he would have it recertified, at no cost to me. I guess there are Sellers on eBay that go above and beyond to try and make their Buyers happy.

I thanked him and am mailing it back tomorrow.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I guess I understand being obsessive compulsive, but if you're happy with the coin, why is the back of the slab so important to you? And I agree, your seller is exceedingly gracious. Wow.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You certainly have all kinds of sellers. The great, like you are dealing with, and the scam artists with a no return policy and intentionally misleading descriptions and photos.

The ones I feel sorry for are the ignorant who will not accept help when offered.

I often offer assistance to sellers because of my expertise attributing the early dates. Many accept but a few would rather not.

Currently, there is a 1802 which is being offered as a 1798. The reverse is readily attributable and even the obverse shows three and a half digits, but he swears he can see the "8." I just have to settle for being amused when I see it.

8. TheMont

I really had to think about the coin slab. I brought it to my coin club meeting and the majority felt that being the coin was rare, I might have trouble in the future with the security hologram so badly ruined. I didn't ask the Seller to reslab the coin, that was his idea, he said he had quite a few going out and one more wouldn't matter and he felt I was a person he would like to keep as a customer.

As I said, you don't find many Sellers with such great customer service and I'll get back a slab in perfect condition. If you think that is obsessive compulsive then that's your problem, I think it's a great Seller with great customer service policies.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. TheMont

By the way for those interested in this Sellers eBay name it's occoindealer, I will definitely do business with him in the future. For those that are coming in late to this discussion, please go back to the slab I showed with the damaged hologram above, so you get the whole thread.

10. TheMont

I just picked this up at a local pawn shop for 3% over melt: It's the rare 1992 Upside down Columbus Gold Commemorative coin!

1992-W PR69DCAM PCGS Columbus.JPG

dwhiz and Two Dogs like this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I know this is an old post, but if there were a low defect rate AND they actually took responsibility for their errors, then they would be worth something. In my opinion, they have a high defect rate and are irresponsible. What I hate is people relying on the scammers claiming they offer more than they do.

They do not guarantee anything after the lawyers get through with their disclaimers. It makes it a sham and a scam.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You're just flat out wrong and there's no other way to say it at this point

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If you want to believe that, then do so at your own risk. Perhaps ignorance IS bliss.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not a belief it's a fact that they aren't scammers, it if a fact that their defect rate is low, it is a fact that they do guarantee certain things. You lose all credibility calling the TPGs scammers and are just sounding like USACoinDealer at this point

15. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

can i use these photos in my reference book?

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes, but they have since been fixed.

17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Yes, Dennis is one of the good guys. I've been dealing with him since he was half of Jade Coins (the other half being James Garcia, thus JAmesDEnnis) back in the last millennium.

18. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

awesome. can you private message me your name so I can credit you, unless you just want your screen name here on CT

Draft saved Draft deleted