Post your shipwreck coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by noname, May 13, 2016.

1. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Nothing to special here, the half reales came in Franklin mint plastic holders, the 8 reales came in a NGC slab, I'm not a fan of slabs.

Attached Files:

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Forgot about my admiral Gardner 1808 10 cash coin

Attached Files:

panzerman, mark240590 and spirityoda like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

joecoincollect likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Atocha 8 Reale 20150427_123930.jpg 20150427_123950.jpg

panzerman likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Johanna Cape Town SA 20150427_123835.jpg 20150427_123857.jpg

panzerman, stevex6 and noname like this.
  7. Paddy54

1715 Fleet 20150427_124046.jpg 20150427_124058.jpg

panzerman likes this.
  8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Here is mine. From "Admiral Gardener".

Attached Files:

• 67.jpg
      67.jpg
      File size:
      98.9 KB
      Views:
    • 68.jpg
      68.jpg
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
    panzerman likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If I were you, I would take the specific gravity of the 1783 piece. This looks like a typical coin from the El Cazador wreck. I know you said it was "certified" however, many coins of this date on the market today are counterfeits with an 8. something sp. gravity! :(

11. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

1576 Leeuwendaalder (Lion dollar), minted in Dordrecht during the revolt of the Northern Dutch provinces against Spanish rule. Salvaged from the wreck of the Kampen that sunk off the Isle of Wight in 1672. It's pretty unusual to see these with a nearly full strike.
    [​IMG]

wyvern, stevex6 and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very sweet coins, fellas ... some amazing examples (congrats)

Ummm, here are a couple of ancient ship coins which "may" have been sunken-n-salvaged? (pretty cool anyway)

Caracalla Galley.jpg Allectus.jpg

=> again, those are very neat examples that you dudes are posting (super cool)

:rolleyes:

noname likes this.
  13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Buy the coin and get the story.

[​IMG]

Portugal Peca 6400 Reis 1750-R (Rio de Janeiro mint)
    Size: 32mm
    Weight: 14.30gm (approx)
    Gold: 0.4215oz (917 fine)

The coin was also known as a "Joe" or "Half-Joe" because the king on the coin was Johannes, Latin for John.

These coins circulated around the world, including the the American colonies, and appear in almanacs, including Ben Franklin's.

I do not own many slabbed coins but this one tells a story along with the grade.

Robert Clive (1725-1774), "Clive Of India", was a British officer credited with establishing the Great Britain rule of India.

After his successful military, diplomatic and economic ventures on behalf of the Crown in India, Clive returned to London.

In 1755, he had to travel to India and sent his money, around £3000, ahead, in the form of Portuguse gold Peca coins, an international currency at the time.

The money was put on the "Doddington", and Clive left on another slower ship. The ships left England in April 1755, and near South Africa, the Doddington managed to wreck on the Chaos Islands of Algoa Bay, now known as Bird Island.

A few crew members survived, and after several months, were able to build a boat, sail to Mozambique, and be rescued.

In 1977, professional treasure hunter divers found the wreck and the gold, and claimed it had been found on a ship in international waters, possibly a pirate ship.

The South African government claimed that the gold came from the Doddington, located in their waters, and after years of legal action, South Africa got 1/3 of the treasure, and the finders got the rest.

The coins were sold through auction houses in 2000, there were 830 coins, minted between 1727 and 1754.

The coin that I have is dated 1750, minted in Rio de Janeiro, and graded by NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corporation) as
    "1750R Brazil 6400R / UNC Details / Environmental Damage / Clive of India Treasure"

In 1774 Clive was offered the command of all British forces in North America, but he declined the offer and then killed himself either with a penknife or opium.

:)

Jaelus and stevex6 like this.
  14. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I've often wondered about this coin in my collection. I got it with a batch of junk silver I purchased years ago. As near as I can tell it is a Bolivia 1830 2 Soles. It appears to have the look of a salt water worn coin.

bolivia 1830 sol.jpg

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Your coin has two things going for it that support its authenticity:

1. Its doggy condition. :sorry:
    2. The "selective corrosion" on the inside, top of many letters.:)

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The Clive of India coin NGC slab:

[​IMG]
    Clive of India Treasure Brazil 6400 Reis 1750-R

:)

1934 Wreath Crown and Jaelus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted