Post your roll marking finds...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Melina, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

I thought it'd be a cool idea to have everyone post up a photo of what their "roll marking" looks like, and what marks they find while roll searching... could be fun to see if anyone on here found someone else's roll :)

Mine is a large M in sharpie, black or silver.

[​IMG]

Today I found rolls marked 4167.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

HAHA that is a good idea! I think Merc Crazy is shipping all his clad down here to MI. Maybe now I will finally be able to prove it!! Taking and posting pics has been an issue for me. I'll will try to get it done soon though. there are two types of marks that I find on almost everything I search. A black dot at the top of the kennedy's or a red slash under his neck (some coin defacers have a morbid sense of humor!!)

4. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I don't mark any coins. :) I also don't roll, mine is dumped into machines.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I mark all of my rolls with a "C" in black marker. The "C" stands for checked and I will recognize my hand writing if I ever see them again. I actually have been given my own rolls back on one or two occasions. One time in 2005 I put in several rolls at a bank. I went back a week or two later to buy some rolls and I recognized some of them as being rolls that I previously turned in. This is why people on here have "dumping banks" that they just use to put in coins and often avoid buying rolls from the same location.

6. AUtiger

AUtiger New Member

I also don't mark anything since it goes into the coin counter at TD, gets picked up by Garda, and I hope to never see the SOB's again! I've been seeing red in the ear, green R's, red I's, and various black marks, sometimes 3 or more unique marks on the same coin.

7. AUtiger

AUtiger New Member

NM duplicate

8. SSchus87

SSchus87 New Member

What do you guys think the journey of a box of halves is? After I get it at BofA and search it, then I dump it at my Credit Union. I noticed their bags say Comerica on them. I wonder where they go after that and what the chances are that I would end up searching some of the same coins again..

As for marks, the last box I searched had probably 10% of the halves marked in some fashion or another. As you would expect, I found no silver...

Thanks---Steve

9. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

I think it would depend on what size town your in. I spoke with my credit union and they actually order their coins from a larger bank not a delivery service. In my case it is 5th 3rd. I would guess your CU has the same set up with Comerica. I also have the missfortune of having brinks as the only delivery service in my area. I have to drive an hour south to get to different coins! I dump at a different bank than I buy at but I am pretty sure it all gets shipped back to brinks and tossed in the same pot. I am likely get the same coins over and over again. :(

10. AUtiger

AUtiger New Member

I am probably going to drop my order from Chase for this very reason. I recently found out they use Garda, which also picks up from TD where I dump. If Garda dumps the coins into one big pot and re-rolls them then I'm just wasting my time searching those boxes. I asked the girls at the bank if this was the case but they didn't know where the coins they order actually come from. I've only been thru 5 or 6 boxes from Chase, I've found no silver but I did get 2 proofs, a 1982 "No FG", and a couple 1987's.

11. greg0311

greg0311 Member

i've wondered about this as well---i have no TD's in my area or banks with ability to coin dump--so all has to be put back in rolls and returned--or i guess collected from coinstars... i get cases of halves ordered from one bank( who are willing to do it and i bring them brownies every once in a while so i dont wear out my welcome), drop off about 300 each at different banks. i know they dont send any back until a full case of 500. i have noticed all BWR's are marked 'HG STRINGS AND SON, Pensylvania' but i live in NY....have seen different deliverers such as brinks, Loomis, and such,, but i am sure different banks have different deliverers--but all from same BWR markings from PA. i had as an experiment once marked one kennedy with black sharpie in the ear from each roll--only the crapiest one so i dont ruin a coin someone could put in a book. have come accross a few in customer wrapped rolls----bet they got my dumps, re-rolled in wrappers, and then returned, so i got them. never got one again in a case--but i just ordered 2 cases,,, will hold them before i order another 2, and see if odds improve--i may have found 3 40% and an 87 out of the thousands ive searched. oh yeah--and one panama Balboa.( not silver)

Draft saved Draft deleted