Post Your Rare or Special or Strange TPG Slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Mar 6, 2014.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I wonder if any of these Slab Types being shown here will be new to Conder, or they are all "been there, done that". They all are new to me!

Keep up the posting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

These are slabs I believe he knows about, but maybe there will be one he has not seen so lets keep posting pictures of these out of business slabs.

Here is a link to a small group of guys that have the same talk on out of business holders.
    http://purelynumismatics.com/Thread-All-TPG-s-Slabs-most-out-of-business-holders-some-still-Unlisted

One more ANACS photo Cert, the holder, is in is a after market holder and I don't know who sold them. This is a blue holder and I have a old ad from ANACS publication that has the 'Custom Coin Wallet' for sale at $8.95 and that is a 1983 price. (The ad is in image 05)

Page 06 has a ad for the Capital Plastics holder, for sale by Campton Coin and Stamp Center, They are still in business and I did call them, the phone number is still good, just nobody was they that worked at the store in 1983. I really hoped that somewhere in storage they still had some and would sell them.

I have attached the whole "Report on ANACS coins" I think it is interesting to read. Maybe some of you will also.Its a PDF file so you could print or save them.

ANACS 1881S Photo Cert MS63_65 holder.jpg

ANACS 1881S Photo Cert MS63_65 coin holder blue.jpg

ANACS 1881S Photo Cert.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Robert Paul

Here is the AGC holder with a pretty nice 1881-S morgan

ACG 1881S Morgan MS65 obv.jpg

AGC 1881S Morgan MS65 rev.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

6. Robert Paul

WoW Thats one holder (PCGS Regency) I have been looking for but at the current price I will not be owning one for a long time.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nothing here I haven't already seen with the possible exception of the 1889 S dollar that Idhair posted. Any chance at seeing the back of that certificate? It just might be new to me.

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

not that odd but will throw up a SEGs slab as I don't see them often... was also the 1st slab I ever cracked open as no bustie should be condemned to a tombstone :D
    1832.jpg

9. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

A PCGS double coin slab I have. This one has two coins with matching triple clips, one is a blank planchet, the other is a struck coin. They mounted them in the same orientation as well.

1d_1982_triple_clip_pair.jpg

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think you saw it years ago.
    [​IMG]

11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I had 3 of the Danny Kaye regency slabs walk in once. I sold at least 1 to Conder 101.... if I remember right. It's been a while.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Idhair, you are right I have seen it before, in fact it is pictured in the book as UNKNOWN 1. Never have figured out for sure where it was from but I suspect it is related to FCS or INL.

And yes Matt you did sell me one of the Danny Kaye Regency slab sets.. I have two of the Danny Kaye Regency slabs but my other one is just the slab not the rest of the set (Velvet bag, original holder, box etc.)

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

14. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I saw this in Orlando recently. The store owner said he knew the guys who started the company. I thought the slab shape was bizarre and worthy of snapping a pic to show in this thread. Two different coins shows, as one had stickers all over the reverse.

WP_20140508_003.jpg

WP_20140508_004.jpg

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, Millennium Coin Certification Service, also known as the toilet bowl slab for what the shape reminds people of. They had two generations of holder, that is the second generation with a color logo (first generation is black and white) and the company name spelled correctly. On the first generation Millennium is misspelled with only one n. The company is no longer in business.

16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I picked this up just for the slab, very early ANA [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

silentnviolent and dwhiz like this.
  17. Robert Paul

Here is a nice old photo cert and holder by NCI, I do like how they did slab them.
    IMG.jpg

silentnviolent and dwhiz like this.
  18. Robert Paul

And here is a large holder by NNCS

IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

silentnviolent, Effigy303 and dwhiz like this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There were six varieties of the NCI certificates but they only slabbed the coin for the last one. Another interesting thing about NCI was it was owned by Halprien (sp) of Heritage, and it was located in the same building as Heritage Heritage disclaims any connection with the company. One final tidbit, Halprien says that NCI began operations in 1985, but the first NCI certificates are dated in 1984.

You like the coin value on the NNCS slab? Several companies did that back then. And that ISN'T an inflated value. a 63 1882 S dollar actually sold for that back then. they had an interesting authenticity guarantee too. If the coin was ever proven fake they would pay you the declared value on the slab plus 14% per annum interest. If that 82 S was a fake they would refund you almost $6,000 today. Of course if you call the phone number on the slab, you get someplace called Eagle Creek Ranch (or you did the last time I called it.)

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

21. Robert Paul

Thanks for the extra information on NCI and NNCS.
    That is something that I did not know.

Draft saved Draft deleted