Post your Pocket Change

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clawcoins, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

where I work there are a lot of students. I keep getting old change. So I guess they're dipping in an old coin jar.

Today I got a 1944 D penny and other old change
    IMG_8932.JPG IMG_8931.JPG

StephenS, Stevearino and 352sdeer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

In my old car I had a cup holder literally full to the top with change. I recently realized I hardly ever spend cash anymore, so in the new car, I barely have any change. More convenient, but not as fun since I don't have change to look through!

4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

So far this entire year I've only received a single 2016 cent in change - it didn't look too great, either. Usually by December I have a small pile of current year cents. One factor, and like others stated, is that I don't really use cash too much anymore either. Today's vending machines come equipped with credit card swipers so the need for spare change has become almost quaint and non-existent.

I miss change.

5. Clawcoins

I used to be electronic payment all the time. But I also track all my expenses. And I found my bank started charging me a bit here and there. So I diversified my accounts and use them for specific expenses. But I moved towards cash for a lot of things and stopped tracking cash expenses which are normally food and certain stores that I don't have a store card for.

So I now use cash a lot whereas 10 years ago I was using debit card most of the time for everything. I've found cash more convenient actually. Plus you get all this change that piles up in a few buckets.

If you have kids, the change becomes valuable bribery material too and is useful for school stuff, etc.

johnyb and Greg Smith like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here's my pocket change for today..
    Just kidding. This is a pile of change I found in one day metal detecting at a beach. Someone else's pocket change!
    FB_IMG_1481049468281.jpg

7. Clawcoins

I get a lot of Canadian money too .. iPhone pics
    IMG_8938.JPG IMG_8939.JPG

dwhiz likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

I got 4-1/2 cents change yesterday.
    I just noticed the Canadian penny has the year on the reverse.
    IMG_8951.JPG IMG_8953.JPG

SchwaVB57 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

10. Clawcoins

The Canadian of course !!

always getting canadian change around here. Canadian pennies live in the US whether Canada wants them too or not.

11. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Can you say crusty....
    0627160840~2~2.jpg
    Found ole Lincoln here about a year ago in my pocket change.
    0706160914~2.jpg
    Finding Miss Liberty about 3 years ago was what originally got me into numismatics.

Only silver piece I ever found in pocket change was a 1947 Rosie, about a year ago, don't have a picture handy though.

I don't want to bore you to death with my day to day finds, haven't really found anything of interest in 2016, hopefully december can change that

12. Clawcoins

I don't think I've ever gotten a Liberty as change, going back to the 70s.

13. Mad Stax

I've been roll hunting since late June early July, and I haven't found another. Id be surprised if I do, that find was definitely the exception to the rule.
    Knowing nothing about numismatics at the time I originally though it was a foreign coin, until I got home and inspected it further. It introduced me to this hobby though, so I'll keep it until I'm in the dirt :dead:

juris klavins and Jscraton like this.
  14. Clawcoins

my avatar I found when I was young digging with a hand shovel as we were installing a fence (or I was watching them install a fence). that started me off of collecting change and stuff.

So I found it in the dirt, and I'll have it until I'm in the dirt too. Maybe I'll take it with me.

juris klavins, Jscraton and coin_nut like this.
  15. Mad Stax

Might as well return it from where you found it eh..
    You must've been stoked, acquiring coins is great, but there's something even more special about finding something interesting and/or valuable.
    Out of curiosity, Is it a P D or S merc?

16. Clawcoins

Truthfully, I have no idea if it's PDSW. I'll have to check some time.

edit - just checked an inventory pic. It has no mint mark, so it's a Philadelphia.

Mad Stax likes this.
  17. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

Attached are a couple of interesting coins in my change over the years. A 1976-S silver quarter (struck in uncirculated finish, but it is circulated) and a 2009-S cameo proof Washington DC State Quarter. ... Reminds me of a story my wife told me, seems her sister (probably in the early 1960s) took her father's ( from circulation) collection of silver dollars and cashed them in at a bank. ... BEWARE ... :)

Attached Files:

Tyler Graton and Mad Stax like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Lets see the back of the 76S . A coin can still grade uncirculated even though it has been in Circulation. looks like you caught that one, before it got truly circ"ed

19. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

about 3 years ago I found a 1955 wheat penny and that's what got me started in coin collecting.

20. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

about 3 years ago I found a 1955 wheat penny and that's what got me started in coin collecting.

21. Jimski

Jimski Well-Known Member

I attached a couple of other photos. It's hard for me to see circulation marks on the reverse. But it is readily apparent with a loop when looking at Washington's cheeks. neck and the high points of his hair. The circulation marks are easier to see with the loop than it is for my camera to pick up. Some marks show up on camera and 76-S quarter rev.jpg 76-S quarter 2.jpg I pointed them out. I would grade the coin an AU.

Brina likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted