Post your pedigreed coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ardatirion, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Marc Aceton

Marc Aceton Active Member

Since Joe showed his Ostia sestertius from the former NAC sale in a parallel thread, I decided to upload pictures of mine. The coin is from the Arthur Bally-Herzog collection having a pedigree that is reaching back to 1907 and maybe, this was the decisive reason why I decided to take the risk and dared to spend a fortune of EUR 24k for a bronze.

Like many sestertii, also this one was sealed with something that I believed to be show tube. I removed this with solvents and luckily, the coin was found out to be problem-free. After a very experienced Italian coin dealer recommended me to do so, I submitted this coin to a professional restorer for exposing this item completely.

before cleaning

[​IMG]

after cleaning

[​IMG]

lordmarcovan and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Fantastic pedigree! The detail looks considerably more pronounced after the cleaning. The coin looks overall darker - is that an artifact of the image or is it close to what it looks like in hand?

4. Marc Aceton

Dear Joe,

Gorny, where I purchased the coin in 2011, described the patina as "Schwarzgrüne Patina", which means black-green patina. The coin looks also darker on the photo of the Münzen Und Medaillen AG Basel, where it was vended in 2002.

Depending on your screen settings, my photo depicts the actual color. Additionally, I uploaded another image of the status quo.

Greetings,

Marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bing and AncientJoe like this.
  5. SwK

SwK Junior Member

great coin
    jeff

6. Marc Aceton

Here is my other find-spot pedigreed coin. It is a Numerian denarius that was found on the construction waste site in Kanzem close to Trier, Germany in January 2012 by a legal treasure hunter possessing a license. The excavation in which the coin was unearthed presumably originates from the hospital "Mutterhaus der Borromäerinnen" in Trier founded in 1849. The "Borromäerinnen" are a female Catholic religious congregations.

[​IMG]

The person who registered the item is Dr. Gilles. He is responsible for the numismatic collection of the "Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier" and wrote also the article about the Fausta Half argenteus. Fortunately, the finder was permitted to sell the coin.

Bing and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted