Post Your Old Copper

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, Feb 22, 2012.

1. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I have to admit, I'm more attracted to the 1798. The Chain doesn't have enough meat left to really get my juices flowing. Unfortunately, I can't really afford one with VF detail like the '98.

Here is the coin Mark is referring to:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Some really beautiful coppers posted so far in this thread!

Here are some more of mine:

Attached Files:

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Some more of my old friends:

Attached Files:

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Both of those old buddies of mine suffer from imperfections (corrosion), but still have enough appeal to merit my love.

Attached Files:

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone messed with these years ago but I still like them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This one needs some help but I hate to risk it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Leadfoot

Love that '38, Eduard!

Here's my example of the same date -- and I like yours better. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Leadfoot

You might consider it softly struck because of the stars, but frankly, that's par for the course for most varieties/examples in the middle to late 1830s, and the coin is actually above average for the date. Very sharp centrally and the reverse is strong in all but a leaf or so too. Nice coin!

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Beautiful coins everyone. I will have to dig around for some more of mine.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

A few two centers:

[​IMG]
    I think I still have these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I love the look of MS BNs too. You got a great coin for less than it went for in '07.

14. oval_man

Thanks—for your compliment and info. I'd be curious to get your take on the grade (luster is full). :)

15. Leadfoot

I don't think that coin needs any help!!! Sure, it's got some schmutz in the recesses, but I'd take one of those coins over 199 recolored examples so typical of these coins.

16. Leadfoot

You are welcome. :)

The luster doesn't appear full in the photo. Presuming it is, I'd TPG grade the coin 65BN. Doesn't have the 'look' that NGC likes in 66 BN, but that's certainly a possibility (as is a 64 is the luster is barely impared as the photo suggests to me). An EACer would likely grade it 55-ish. All IMO, of course. :)

17. oval_man

Thanks. I had a chuckle over your comment about robec's piece (NGC 66 or PCGS 65) so I was kind of expecting your answer. It's NGC 66BN. I paid low-66 money for it; would be happy if it crossed to PCGS 65+; not so much if only to 65. I think you'd approve of the luster in-hand (but maybe not).

How's your house? Feel like home yet?

18. Leadfoot

It does indeed. Thanks for asking. Oddly enough, I was distracted last night driving home from dinner, and accidentally pulled into my old place -- old habits die hard. lol

Back to the topic at hand.....

As for the way NGC and PCGS grade these coins, I would fully expect a 65 grade from PCGS. In fact, I would bet on it.

PCGS and NGC simply grade to a different standard in the 65/66 realm (incidentally the same thing can be said of the AU realm, NGC 58 specifically) -- not right, not wrong, but different.

We, as collectors, need to take that into account when we figure out what price to pay for these coins (or more accurately, the expectation of their grade/value should they be crossed/sold).

NGC 66 BN are dangerous coins, in my experience. They are in those NGC slabs for a reason. Think about it.

That's not to say that NGC 66 BN large cents aren't attractive -- to the contrary, they tend to be precisely that -- however, it makes valuing them a bit more challenging on both the buy and sell side.

I do not own a single NGC 66 BN piece of copper because they tend to be overpriced in my eyes. That said, if you like the coin and the price, I'll never second guess that decision -- it's yours to make not mine!

All of the above IMO, and based solely on my experience.

Now, to get this thread back on track, here's a classic head:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take care....Mike

19. oval_man

That's funny!

With my experience being much less than yours, I would nonetheless agree with everything you say. I paid low NGC 66 money for this and feel (at least hope) it would fetch something close when it comes time to sell. It certainly compares favorably to NGC 65s I've seen.

Thanks again. BTW, nothing wrong, I don't think, with a lesson on grading in this thread; it can be helpful to many.

--David

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted