Post your numismatic clocks if you have one.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, May 16, 2020.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Bought this clock for the price of the Morgan.
    The Rosie's Washington's and Kennedy are Philly coins.
    But one thing is they are all unc and have some nice peripheral toning.
    upload_2020-5-16_8-39-56.png
    upload_2020-5-16_8-40-27.png
    upload_2020-5-16_8-40-45.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So, that's set up like a Capital display -- it can be taken apart, and the coins removed? If so, I like it a LOT better than the coin-embedded toilet seats!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Yeah, the coins could be removed but you would have to remove the hands on the clock to get at them. I would like at some point to replace one of the quarters and some of the dimes with other issues. Probably a next winter project.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Super cool! A constant reminder that it is time to buy another coin.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Does a perpetual calendar count?

This piece was issued for the James G. Blain for President in 1884 campaign. It is perpetual calendar, which rather unusual for a campaign piece. Blain is pictured on the obverse and his running mate John “Black Eagle Logan is on the reverse.

JGB 1884-8 All.jpg

The Republican Party faithful loved Bllain. He was the 19th century's "Mister Republican," but he had some unsavory dealings with the railroad industry that got him into trouble. He lost to Grover Cleveland in 1884 thus making him the first Republican presidential candidate to lose since John C. Fremont in 1856.

The 1884 campaign was quite nasty. The main anti-Blain slogan was "Blain, Blain, the continental liar from the state of Maine!"

The Republican countered with a slogan of their own. Grover Cleveland had owned up to fathering a child out of wedlock. Cleveland surprised everyone and admitted to the whole thing without batting an eye!

The Republican chanted "Paw, Paw, where's my Paw?"

To which the Democrats responded after the election, "Gone to the Whitehouse, Haw, Haw Haw!"

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

@johnmilton A calendar is quite a bit different than a clock. So I would just have to say I am not too picky.
    That's a cool piece of history and token.
    Thanks for posting it.

Draft saved Draft deleted