Post your nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zach67005, Feb 15, 2012.

1. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

4. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Another monster buffalo from Way Down South just joined my herd.
    $_57.rev.jpg $_57.obv.jpg

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice strike and great color shame it won't grade with the rim ding.....another GSC !

6. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

you might be right about it not grading, i guess you mean it would be graded something like ms60 rim nick. and there is a dark spot below the 5 in the date which may be a piece of felt or paper, or worse it could be another problem on the coin itself. I might wind up sending back because of these flaws which I really did not notice.

7. Paddy54

Well not knocking the coin the color and strike are fantastic but...the first thing that caught my eye was below the 5. If it's a rim ding it won't grade.
    The details are fantastic but this company is well known for buying sweet problem coins....I know about 16 years ago they got me on a buffalo .
    Another spot that would concerns me the area behind the butt looks to have been retoned.....buffalo's do tend to get carbon spots in a slab as well as that lovely green crud I have a couple that were nice coin until it surfaces on the graded coin. As it truly doesn't matter what's on the slab,but what's in it.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

9. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

I just got it yesterday and the rim ding is a killer. I thought that it might just be a piece of paper or felt as sometimes people will use a felt pad to lay coins on when they photograph them and I thought this was the case. This coin would only grade something like ms60 details, environmental damage or ms60 details, rim nicks, as there is one around three o’clock on the obverse too. So, back to the seller it goes.

10. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

At least I have the pictures of the coin which I will keep.

11. Paddy54

yes another 38 D/D :) 1938 D D 43017.jpg

gronnh20, Nathan401, gbroke and 3 others like this.
  12. Sula86

Sula86 Active Member

A few of the nickels I recently picked up

IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1751.JPG IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1718.JPG

gronnh20, gbroke, Mad Stax and 4 others like this.
  13. Paddy54

Sorry to hear that it was a rim ding...the coin has a wonderful strike. But as they say lipstick on a pig... this company is well known for selling detailed coins. Yeah sure they probably sell a few nice ones ...but selling coins like this without disclosure is just wrong.

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Bought some old bank wrapped rolls of Jefferson nickels and found some real treasure...hopefully NGC agrees.

A roll of 59-D's contained some gems with full steps.
    There are only 28 graded at NGC with 5 steps. None with 6 steps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This guy has a shot @ 6FS
    [​IMG]

After countless rolls of 56's, I finally found one with full steps. It's a nice one at that...
    [​IMG]

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is the best of a roll of 06' Jefferson's. IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3446.JPG Or, I Pick'ed it somewhere. I have had it for quite a while, I just haven't been able to get a lustrous, colorful photo. I just put in a little studio in the basement.
    I think I was able to get my lighting a little better to the way I see them in hand.

16. Paddy54

A $25 1918 s picked up at a this and that shop. downloadfile-152.jpeg downloadfile-154.jpeg

17. Ryan Patrick

Ryan Patrick New Member

1945 D

Attached Files:

jello and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

19. Paddy54

jello and RonSanderson like this.
  20. Paddy54

1938 D D 5617 rpm 006.jpg
    Didn't want to disappoint Dave Today

21. Paddy54

Decided I wanted to go this route on my type set. Wanted to experiment with the look so tried the capital holder to see if I liked it.
    <1853> H-10
    1867 NR Shield
    1883 V-nickel
    1937 Buffalo
    1950 D FS Jefferson 20170506_191209.jpg 20170506_191434.jpg

gronnh20, Skyman, jello and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted