Post your nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zach67005, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Look not trying to rain on your parade , as I would venture to say that every poster here including myself have pulled the trigger on a coin that they believed to be a winner only to find out it has issues.
    The 1917 has a great strike but from your images it either looks plated as the plating looks to be peeling off,and if it isn't plated carbon spots.
    As a variety collector I have passed on some great finds due to them having issues.
    One in particular was an 1876 bleeder variety Shield nickel that was spot on for the variety and had cuts in the rim both on the Obv.and Rev.
    Now if detailed coins aren't an issue with you ,no problem ,everyone should collect what they like.... and without judgment as to the items they have in their collection .
    However again after collecting over 50 years you learn to be subjective in your purchases.
    As when you grow tired of a specimen and want to sell it you're at the mercy of finding another collector who is willing to buy a problem coin.
    Yes I understand coins aren't investments. But if you want to sell you would like to nothing more than break even.
    About 10 years ago I sold an 1939 double Monticello MS-64 for $1400. The same coin these days can be had around $1000.
    I truly hated to part with it...but needed the cash. Now I'm glad that I did....as I'm $400. To the good rather than be at a loss.
    I truly understand the hunt,and desires finding rare coins and or varieties. I have been doing so for a many a moon.

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

One thing these pix do not show is the brilliant squared rims. No doubt in my mind
    it is a matte proof but of course the big two slobbers (slabbers) will not case
    any 1917 proof coinage.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

yes i have had to return coins to “way down south” as i call GSC but
    for the most part the stuff i got from the has been great. The ones I returned
    had been coins that looked like the pix were messed with, maybe just my
    imagination but who knows for sure.

5. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

I still say that GSC provides great images, in fact better than most sellers on
    flea bay. When you get a coin from them you just have to examine it carefully.

6. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

to paddy54 (above)
    "Look not trying to rain on your parade , as I would venture to say that every poster here including myself have pulled the trigger on a coin that they believed to be a winner only to find out it has issues. The 1917 has a great strike but from your images it either looks plated as the plating looks to be peeling off,and if it isn't plated carbon spots. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-your-nickels.200787/page-59)”
    No it has not been plated, just irregular toning.

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Here are some super gems I just dug up in my hoard.

Common in high grades w/steps, but this one stands out.
    [​IMG]

Stunning war nickels w/full steps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gronnh20, dwhiz, USS656 and 6 others like this.
  8. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

see the reverse of this coin further down in the thread......

9. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

05c 1908 full 01.gif

There are some marks on the holder that show up here.
    05c 1908 obverse 02.JPG 05c 1908 reverse 01.JPG

gronnh20, dwhiz, USS656 and 6 others like this.
  10. Paddy54

Well Dave I've gone and done it again....yep another 38 D.....This is the second OMM-001 38 D I've cherry picked. 1938 D Buffalo OMM 001 obv 32617.jpg 1938 D Buffalo Rev OMM 32617.jpg 1938 D OMM 001 32617 1.jpg 1938 D OMM 001 32617 2.jpg
    @Dave Waterstraat
    @Seattlite86

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  11. Paddy54

Yeah I got 2 38 D's today :shifty: 1938 D Buff obv. 32617 2.jpg 1938 D Buff Rev 32617 2.jpg 1938 D mm 32617.jpg

dwhiz, USS656, Mad Stax and 2 others like this.
  12. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I pulled this from its cello. Too bad it's developed a haze, otherwise I think the colors would show more. IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0461.JPG

dwhiz, Pickin and Grinin and jello like this.
  13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

14. RonSanderson

I always liked war nickels. I fished this out of the bin at the LCS for $1.

05c 1944-S full 02.JPG

gronnh20, dwhiz, Mad Stax and 3 others like this.
  15. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

s-l500.oki89.jpg s-l500.0o.jpg my latest acquisition from Way Down South.......

gronnh20, dwhiz, Mad Stax and 3 others like this.
  16. Friday

Friday Active Member

I am post my 1902 nickel it not in the best condition IMG_0268.JPG

dwhiz likes this.
  17. Friday

Friday Active Member

Now post the rest my nickel. IMG_0266.JPG

Pickin and Grinin and jello like this.
  18. RonSanderson

Also from the bin of junk war nickels destined for the smelter; also $1.

05c 1945-P full 01.gif

gronnh20, dwhiz, USS656 and 3 others like this.
  19. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Nice war nickels Ron. Thats a dollar well spent!

RonSanderson likes this.
  20. RonSanderson

You used to get a candy bar for a nickel. Now the candy bar is $1.25 and the nickel is $1.00. Go figure!

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. RonSanderson

This first-year V-nickel looks like it has passed through a few hands and left behind some dirt. I'm glad it hasn't been cleaned up, because this is a good honest look for it. (I'm also grateful that no one painted it gold and tried to pass it for a $5 gold piece!)

There appear to be die cracks through the date and through the reverse lettering at the 12:00 and 7:00 positions.

05c 1883 full 01.gif
    05c 1883 obverse 01.JPG 05c 1883 reverse 01.JPG

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    gronnh20, Mad Stax, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted