Post your NGC STARs - and a little history

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

What is a star? Read below to find out and then post your own!
    If anyone has more info to add, including any history, please feel free to share!

In the simplest terms:
    "NGC assigns its trademarked Star Designation to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade"

This "exceptional eye appeal" usually breaks down into three major categories.
    1. Toning (vibrant, colorful, etc)...can be very subjective
    2. Intense luster or Proof-like qualities for business strikes (this includes coins that are proof-like on only one side or a coin already graded PL that is DMPL on the other side)
    3. Cameo contrast for proof coins (this will usually mean coins that are cameo on only one side or a coin already designated as CAM that is DCAM on the other side)

NGC also adds that "to receive a [star], coins must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities, and display no bothersome spots or blemishes. Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black."

And a brief timeline (dates mainly based on NGC press releases):
    ~2001: Sources* that I find say the STAR began
    2001-2/26/2002: Mint State (not proof) examples of the following become eligible for the Star: Jefferson Nickels, Roosevelt Dimes, Washington Quarters, Franklin Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollars, Eisenhower Dollars and Anthony Dollars.
    2/27/2002: Proof coins from 1936 to 1978 eligible
    3/12/2002: Morgan and Peace Dollars eligible
    4/8/2002: Silver Commemoratives of the 1892-1954 era eligible
    6/18/2002: NGC expanded the Star designation to all US coins
    6/6/2005: NGC announces that it has graded the Battle Creek Collection...one of the most famous hoards of colorfully toned Morgans (many received Stars).
    1/15/2008: NGC expanded its Star to all grades of US coins up to MS 69/PF 69. Before the Star only applies to grades between MS 63/PF 63 and MS 69/PF 69.
    2/1/2014: World coins become eligible

* = https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/332/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Just shipped out to a new customer this morning . . .

0.10-1900-4.jpg 0.10-1900-5.jpg 0.10-1900-6.jpg

5. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I've handled quite a few morgans and never had one jump out at me like this one did. Found it sorting through a box of coins at a new coin shop 6 months back and instantly threw the dealer my wallet. It could get a star for like 3 different reasons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is one I used to own that you don't see too often...an MS 60 star:

310929-1.jpg
    310929-2.jpg

gronnh20, ron_c, C-B-D and 5 others like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Mainebill, ddddd, asheland and 2 others like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

calcol and ddddd like this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I call this Battle Creek Morgan, the "pink eye Dollar"[​IMG]

11. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Sweet coins in this thread! :)

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

@lordmarcovan that is a very nice example! I have seen NGC give stars to Ancients, but don't know when they started. Would you know?

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Another star (reverse is untoned):

354361-1.jpg

ron_c, BigTee44, JPeace$ and 4 others like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

I think NGC has put stars on ancients from the beginning of the NGC Ancients program, but I'm not certain. @Zohar444 has a whole constellation of stars on NGC Ancients holders- he might know. (In fact, I think he has more "star" coins than unstarred ones!)

ddddd likes this.
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

9E31FF93-CE3F-4F83-B169-F714035CEABD.jpeg Not a bad 80-s Morgan. My personal type set example

gronnh20, ron_c, calcol and 6 others like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Minor correction: NGC was awarded the contract to grade the Battle Creek Collection because it agreed to award *every single coin* the Star. That is one reason that the BC grading is somewhat controversial.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yeah, I got some stars.....

JPA907 obverse.jpg JPA907 reverse.jpg JPA1012 obverse.jpg JPA1012 reverse.jpg

gronnh20, ToughCOINS, JPeace$ and 5 others like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Indeed. That sounds deserving of controversy to me, and slightly cheapens their "star" standards in my eyes.

But on the other hand, it always was a rather arbitrary thing, and since the "star" is based entirely NGC's opinion and even less by any published set of standards like regular Sheldon scale grades are, it's their prerogative to slap a star on anything they see fit.

And there have been (a few) times I've definitely disagreed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was a little ambiguous in my original statement. I meant to say that every Battle Creek Morgan that was an MS 63 or higher received a star. Those under 63 were placed into holders that had Brilliant Uncirculated and no grade (since NGC didn’t use stars for grades under 63 at that point). And I have noticed quite a few that don’t really deserve a star, so you are correct in saying the decision was controversial.

21. lordmarcovan

That makes a little more sense, but doesn't entirely absolve them in my book.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted