Post your NGC *star coin's...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by talkcoin, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Battle Creek?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

4. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Thank you! Yes it is.

5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

It was so weird how it happened too. I havent really been watching my regular coin auctions in weeks. Ive been a tad bit preoccupied with other life happenings, and fresh material was drying up for my needs.

Anyway, I had been looking for an 1891 on and off over the last 6 months or so, not a priority, just keeping my eyes open for a nice one at a price I was willing to pay. If you look around, you will see plenty of 1891 coins out there, but nothing I would consider being a good coin for a good price.

This one popped up, and I knew I liked the toning, it was a coin I needed, right smack in the sweet spot of the grades I shoot for and with the overall look that I like.

As you can imagine, I snapped it up with little hesitation. I didnt even put up a real fight for the price.

The star was totally an accident and quite the nice bonus though. But very little effect on my decision to buy this coin.

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I love it when it happens that way. The stars align and *BAM* the coin you've been needing falls into your lap! No way you're going to lose it, so "whatever it takes to bring it home..."

Nice Trey!

GoldFinger1969 and treylxapi47 like this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

A beauty!! Are those polishing lines on Ms. Liberties cheek and neck? I haven't seen those types of random lines much, but I can imagine how it might happen. Especially on such a small die.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. treylxapi47

According to Numismedia, I paid a bit above AU-58 prices, but way below all of the 'ugly' mint state grades. Paid about half of MS-63 book value, with every bit of that level of eye appeal.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

As you know, high quality coins typically sell for a premium. I don't know the $$ difference between an 58 and 63 for this coin, but I say, who cares! If you love the coin, you'll enjoy. You can't spend the money after you die, but you can enjoy the coin up until then!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. Coinchemistry 2012

Thanks! The lines are definitely imparted on the coin by the die (and are exaggerated by the enlarged photo). I would call them die polish lines, but that would turn this into a 40 page thread/debate about whether die polish lines occur on the devices, especially in shallow areas. ;) Instead, I'll call them die maintenance lines. These are actually very common on 1936-1942 proofs.

Paul M. and JPeace$ like this.
  11. Coinchemistry 2012

I missed this some how on the first pass. I like it very much. Is it semi-PL? I see the star given often on blast white business strikes when there are mirrored fields or when there is blinding luster.

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Thanks Kenny. Yes, it does have some PL, but not consistent enough to get the designation. I bought this one for my Type set. It's not my favorite depiction of Ms. Liberty, so I was very happy to find one with a "*" for my collection.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

And this is why AU-58 is one of the best grades to buy coins in. :)

14. treylxapi47

Here are some better images of the 91-P AU-58*

Trey_1891SLQ1_AU58.jpg

Trey_1891SLQ2_AU58.jpg

talkcoin and Santinidollar like this.
  15. Santinidollar

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I post this one every once in a while. NGC EF-40*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tater, Skyman, Santinidollar and 2 others like this.
  17. treylxapi47

Do you see many star grade coins in the sub-MS grades? I don't really watch for star coins as they usually aren't in my series so I have no idea about their frequency.

18. Santinidollar

Good question. I have a grand total of one in my collection and it's in MS.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Stars for circulated grades are much less common. There are actually a few graded (among many series), but they are usually either tightly held or command large premiums. You see them far more often in the early-19th century coins than anywhere else. I own two Bust Halves in EF with Star, the other is posted below. The thing with these circulated stars is, they are gorgeous, but I have some that are even prettier without stars. It seems somewhat inconsistent, even more than the MS stars:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

treylxapi47, AcesKings, Savy and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted